Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salvel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2003, 08:02 PM
    QUestion Excel
    Hello, my name is Carmen and I live in Mexico, City.
    I don' t speak English very well but I try to state my question:

In Excel I want to put in order some data for some column. I use the "hierarchy" function because I want a number of the order for the column "grade". But in this function I note that if I have 2 numbers that are equal, this function assign number 1 and number 1 for those 2 numbers. For example

Name Grade Hierarchy
    Carlos 10 1
    Jorge 9 3
    Carmen 8 4
    Jos 10 1
    Mario 8 4
    Juan 7 6

But I want that the "Hierarchy" function don't repeat the number: I. E. 1 for Carlos and 1 for Jos. Instead, I would like the function to assign 1 for Carlos and 2 for Jose. I would expect the new ordering to be a sequential numbering such as the one shown in the following table; in other words, there are not jumps from 1 to 3 or from 4 to 6:

Name Grade Hierarchy
    Carlos 10 1
    Jorge 9 3
    Carmen 8 4
    Jos 10 2
    Mario 8 5
    Juan 7 6

Will you please help to find out which function or functions or combinations or some of them there are in the Excel program that can help me to solve this problem?
    Please, I need you to provide me with this solution as soon as possible; I am truly desesperated.

Thank you very much

Yours sincerely

Carmen
    dtecmeister Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2003, 08:42 AM
    QUestion Excel
    I don't have the hierarchy formula on my version of Excel, but here's an answer.
    Add a column next to the hierarchy column. Fill the top row with this formula:
    =IF(COUNTIF(A2:A$16,A1),A1+COUNTIF(A2:A$16,A1),A1)
    (if you have more than 16 items, change 16 to however many you have)
    If your column isn't A, then change this to whatever column you're using.
    Copy/Paste this formula down the column to your next-to-last row, in this case 15.
    In row 16 put this:
    =A16

Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel question [ 10 Answers ]

I've got a spreadsheet of 1688 rows. I only want rows 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, etc. (deleting 7 lines between each one I want to keep). I don't want to just delete the contents of the other lines, I want to delete the lines themselves, so that I end up with current rows 1, 9, 17 etc. being 1, 2, 3...

Question about MS Excel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to copy & transpose the content of one spreadsheet to another without cell reference changing. It seems that I just cannot use Paste Link and Transpose at the same time. What should I do? Thanks in advance, Wei

Excel question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a number of worksheets in one excel file. I have been doing VLOOKUPS but now I want to know how to get once cell to = one cell in another worksheet. I hope someone knows??

View more questions Search