Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Apr 9, 2007, 09:51 PM
    I want my faith back.
    I was brought up Roman Catholic, I was baptised and had my first communion... never made my confirmation. When I was little I was amazed with church, with the songs, the readings, the praying, everything. As I got older, it's like my faith is not strong anymore. I mean I believe in God and everything, but it's not as strong as it used to be and I want it to be. I liked the feeling that if I prayed, all my answers would be solved. I miss that "safe" feeling I would get knowing that I have my strong faith and that I am protected. I don't feel that way so much anymore and I want to. I want that feeling of being at peace with God. I don't like doubting myself or my religion. I want to be able to feel confident with my religion and feel I can turn to God and Jesus. Help?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
    Number 1 - Pray. Open up your heart and let the Son shine in!

Number 2 - Go to church. Many try to have a faith and worship by themselves. Usually doesn't work because we need the asistance of brothers and sisters in the faith to hold us up.

Number 3 - A basic law of physics is that water seeks it's own level. It is like that with people too. Seek out others like yourself. Share your beliefs with them. Pray with them. Again, open up your heart...

Number 4 - Believe and have faith no matter what happens to you and how someone might try to sway you to beliefs against your faith. Study the Bible. Join a Bible study group.

Number 5 - Be in prayer at all times, in everything that you do or say.

Number 6 - Share what you believe with others who have no faith or belief in God. Tell the Good News of Jesus Christ and how He changes and rules what you think and do. You will change others and feel better because you have helped someone else.

Being a Christian takes practice like anything else that you want to do well, rather than saying, "Well, I did it."

There is adult confirmation, you know.

Just some ideas. As we get older, our minds get filled with so many things that can take precidence, if we let them, over the things that really matter. Life on this earth is short. Eternity is forever. We don't know it all and we never will until we depart from this earthly life and know God. Death is not a choice. Best to be prepared.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Apr 10, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Hi Becca1025

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I too have had highs and lows in my walk with God. What helped me was and is to spend time in quiet reflection on the life of Christ. Spending time in prayer. Especially Praying the Lords prayer. Focusing on each line and its meaning. I am one who loves information. For me personally, information is inspiration. The more I learned about the Catholic faith, the more my faith grew. I would sagest asking your priest about enrolling in a RCIA program at your parish. Then getting confirmed. That is a great sacrament for strengthening one's faith. Remember our life on earth is a pilgrimage, with heaven as the destination. The journey may seem long with many hills and dark valleys, but fear not, the Lord is there with you. He will not abandon you. Remember that God will answer your prayers, however not as you will, but as he wills.

God bless you, you are in my prayers.
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

Apr 10, 2007, 08:28 AM
    I too am in your current situation.
    I was brought up in a Roman Catholic household, went to Catholic school all the way through high school.
    Now I find myself asking, "If I believe in God, then why do I need religion?" But I am in a different boat, I'm not actively trying to get back in to the religion scene.
    Do you have a favorite priest? Someone who you would listen to their whole homily? Try to talk to people who inspire you religiously.

Apr 10, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Thank you everyone for posting. It's helped! Really it has!
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
    You may have outgrown the childish religion of your youth. There is a difference between being childlike in our faith and doggedly holding on to childish religious concepts. Being childlike means having faith that God is good, even though bad things can and do happen to good people. Being childish means thinking you can make bargains and strike deals with God to get your problems solved and have a happy, easy life. Having a mature faith requires giving up such childish notions. The life of the Spirit is not for sissies.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Apr 10, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Becca1025

You can rededicate your life to Jesus as an adult now anytime. You can have an adult confirmation (I'm not Catholic but someone mentioned that there are)
    You can get back to the music & singing at a Church that you like. Hearing the Word strengthens faith. I think it's important to" hear" in person from the priest or pastor for a time, too, especially if you haven't been to church in years. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God(Romans 10:17)
    Bible study, reading the Bible, and of course prayer, all will help your faith walk.
    The main thing I think will help you rededicate is to go to a church that has an altar call
    At end of the service (usually) You can call them & ask if they do that.
    I think your going to find all you are seeking in the Lord.

God Bless You!

Apr 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
    ordinaryguy: I do not think there is anything "childish" about religion, whether someone believes that if they pray to God and that He will help them through their troubles whether he does or not. It is the idea that God is there for you whether He can help solve your problems or not.
    "Being childish means thinking you can make bargains and strike deals with God to get your problems solved and have a happy, easy life."

If that is the case then what do you think about confession in a Catholic church?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
    This is more common than one would believe and more common than we all wish it was. All we have to do is look intot he bible for such prime examples. We have Peter who lost had such strong faith to start walking on water and after walking on it a short way, he started to sink, Look at him latter when he denied Christ at the trial of Christ.

We have all of the followers hiding in fear after the death of Christ.

We see Thomas who after the death of Christ was still doubting even when he saw Christ.

So welcome to some fairly strong and important company when our faith at times comes into doubt or is not as strong.

We get closer to God though prayer, and by forgiving others and by helping others, Become involved, though prayer, though confession and by helping others
    BLTDay Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Apr 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca1025
    I was brought up Roman Catholic, I was baptised and had my first communion.... never made my confirmation. When I was little I was amazed with church, with the songs, the readings, the praying, everything. As I got older, it's like my faith is not strong anymore. I mean I believe in God and everything, but it's not as strong as it used to be and I want it to be. I liked the feeling that if I prayed, all my answers would be solved. I miss that "safe" feeling I would get knowing that I have my strong faith and that I am protected. I don't feel that way so much anymore and I want to. I want that feeling of being at peace with God. I don't like doubting myself or my religion. I want to be able to feel confident with my religion and feel I can turn to God and Jesus. Help?
    All I can tell you is Jeremiah 29:13 "When you seek me with all your heart, you will find me." God's saying... if you set your heart on finding me... you won't be disappointed. As we grow into adults *I myself being 19 and a Theology major* we start using our reason instead of relying on our faith. I am pentecostal, but I think that our denominational differences don't matter here. We're both in the same boat, we both serve the ONE TRUE and Living God. Just keep your focus on Him all the time. He wishes for an intimate relationship with His children. I believe that God allows us not to "feel" him sometimes *I like to call it, being put in a desert place* so that we will remember that we walk by FAITH and NOT by sight or feelings. You have that desire in your heart for him, because HE put it there. And I'm not saying this is your motive, but just explaining that its not just about feeling safe or God saying "yes" to all your requests... its about knowing Him, because we are His Bride. He wishes for His Beloved to know Him intimately. Its about surrendering completely to His will... whether its what we think is best. I'm sorry I've gone so long... But, I'm in the same position as you. Working on my building up my faith again... its gotten kind of skinny lately. Spiritually Supportive!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faith Healers [ 23 Answers ]

Hello all, Does faith Healers really heal people? Here is my take on it, what is your opinion? First an examples about faith Healers" A South Carolina, U.S.A. faith-healing session called a “healing explosion” has resulted in a lawsuit against two Texas faith healers. A North Carolina...

Losing faith [ 18 Answers ]

I've been incredibly depressed for the past week on and off. I have also been thinking a lot about God and it isn't making sense to me. Now I've been a christian my whole life and all the sudden I feel like my faith is being tested. I just feel as though I need a sign from God, I know it's selfish...

Faith [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on having faith? Faith to make it through a rough time? Faith that all will be well in the end? A scripture? Kind words? Anything? How do you cope? Please.

Bad faith [ 7 Answers ]

How do you handle a contract where you are a independent contracter for 3 years in which the people in the contract are supposed to have you on there insurance for those three years. And I paid a surcharge every day for those three years for the insurance then after a accident I found out I was...

Have a little faith love will come to you [ 3 Answers ]

Need singer/ actual title to this 1950s vaguely CW song. Sounds like Slim Whitman, singer breaks into sort of a yodel in chours: You played a game/ got caught you should take it with a grain of salt have a little faith and love will come to you You may be lonely/ you may be blue your one...

View more questions Search