Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ytalley's Avatar
    ytalley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 10, 2016, 08:08 PM
    What is the maximum money you can get in small claims court for pain and suffering
    I was physically assaulted by a women and my left eye (retina)was detached (so I have no vision) ,shoulder dislocated, and bleeding in my brain... What is the max $$$ I can ask for in small claims court for pain and suffering??
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,254, Reputation: 5642

    Feb 10, 2016, 08:12 PM
    It depends on your jurisdiction.

    This is is bigger than small claims though. Has she been criminally charged?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,277, Reputation: 7690

    Feb 10, 2016, 08:47 PM
    It will differ, 10,000 USD is about average,

    On your eye, of course you need to get surgery as soon as possible, the retina can be attached for various means, I had retina surgery last year. The sooner you get surgery after detachment the better the outcome. In extreme cases a case bubble and buckle can be used.

    Also in many jurisdictions in small claims you can not ask for pain and suffering, only actual loses.

    This sounds like a case that is way beyond any small claims, Just actual medical bills would most likely be more than small claims. Since the highest small claims I have ever heard of was 25,000.

    If you will tell us the county and state you live in, we could look up small claims amounts.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 11, 2016, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ytalley View Post
    I was physically assaulted by a women and my left eye (retina)was detached (so I have no vision) ,shoulder dislocated, and bleeding in my brain... What is the max $$$ I can ask for in small claims court for pain and suffering??
    ZERO! Small claims courts generally only award actual damages, not pain and suffering. Also Small Claims court limits vary by area. So without knowing your general area we can't answer as to the limits.

    Where were you assaulted? You may be able to file a liability claim against an insurance carrier. Is there a police report? Has the woman been charged or convicted of the assault. We need more details to help you further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue my dentist in small claims court for pain and suffering [ 3 Answers ]

September of last year I went to the dentist to have my wisdom teeth pulled and two others. When I left they told me they where waiting for approval to do a root canal from my insurance. A few months went by I called them and nothing . Few more months the same thing. This past weekend (may) I went...

How do you prove pain and suffering in small claims court? [ 14 Answers ]

I fell when moving some things out of a small cottage where the only path had a large concrete slab in the middle of a dirt pathway that I tripped over. I'm in constant pain but all my injuries were covered by insurance. Can I figure an amount of injury for pain and suffering?

Pain and suffering in small claims court? [ 4 Answers ]

My brother suffer from a painful illness in which smell from cooking, perfume and some cleaning product etc bring him migraine headache, he is on disability but not for this matter at all but. Over the time in the house they agree on installing an fan smell extractor over the time they were not...

In small claims court how much can you sue for pain and suffering in the state of il [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a situation where a man that I thought loved me convinced me to move out of state leaving my friends, family, job, and my home to be with him. Within a month of me moving and preparing to find work, he decides to move out within in a month of moving in the house without notice to go and...

Maximum amount to ask in a small claim court for pain & suffering [ 7 Answers ]

Im suing my mother for $3,000 on a loan that she owes me, I'm also suing her for pan and suffering for physical and emotionally abuse.. now the quastion is for how much can I sue her in pain and suffering, what's the maximum amount in ny

View more questions Search