Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    julietted1's Avatar
    julietted1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 12, 2019, 05:40 PM
    Small Claims Court
    A couple friends and I took a trip to Cali. They said they had enough money to go on this trip and that they would pay half of the gas for the trip. Unfortunately, they only paid a couple times for gas. During this trip we decided to go to halloween horror nights at universal studios and they card their card would not work to pay for their tickets. I wanted all of us to go, so I decided to pay for their tickets which was $170 total for both of them. I still have not been paid back by them even though they said they would pay me back when they had “enough money”. This trip was in October, and I have asked them once if they had the money to pay me back yet. They said that I was harassing them about the money and they now refuse to pay me back. At first they said they would only pay me $100 and then they went on to say I was harassing them and they would not pay me anything. I told them that I was not harassing them since I had only asked them one time if they had enough money to pay me $10 a week or a month. I have given them 4 months to get enough money to pay me back but since they said I was “harrassing” them and they will not give me a cent, I am fed up with it and want my money back asap. I know I could take them to small claims court and sue them but I would like to know what I could do to get my money back without having to pay for lawyers or any expensive fees. These friends owe me over $200 with all the gas they did not pay for but I told them they can pay only $190, which splits into $170 for their tickets and $20 for gas. They refuse to pay and I am not letting them do this. They have done it to several other of my friends and I did not think they would do this to me because I am the kind of person to trust someone until they give me a reason not to, and now they have. What can I do?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 12, 2019, 06:12 PM
    Sure, take them to small claims court.

    If you have text messages from them, emails any proof to their agreement to pay or refusal to pay.

    Show receipts where you paid for things, to prove you paid for it.

    They will most likely defend saying this was all suppose to be gifts and then you changed your mind, but it will be up to the judge to decide.

    Of course the issue is, what happens, after you win?

    Do you know their bank accounts to try to garnish ? Just winning does not mean they pay?

    A large percentage of people who win, never get their money.

    And, of course, you know several people they have not paid, so why did you think they were going to pay you.

    Also except that they will no longer be friends after going to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I go to small claims court? [ 10 Answers ]

I lent friend of mine 11000$ back in June of 2009 so that he could purchase a car. He told me that he would pay me back in full by Labour Day of that same year. There were a few bumps along the way and about a 18 months after Labour day 2009, I started to get the feeling that he was lying to me...

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Small Claims Court [ 47 Answers ]

I have been sued in Small Claims Court by a debt collector. I filed an answer and then received a pretrial conference order. I would like to file a motion to dismiss because debt collectors can not sue in small claims court in Texas. I would like to know if I can file my motion now or must I wait...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Every One, My question tonight is about suing in small claims court.. Really its more about what am I allowed to sue for.. I entered in to a verbal agreement with a old friend of mine to help him out.. Honestly to help him stay out of jail. He was on house arrest and needed a phone so I...

View more questions Search