Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sujitswaroop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Security Deposit not refunded
    Hi
    I had a 11 month contract and moved out at the end of the 11th month. I have a security deposit of $900 with the landlord. When I vacated the landlord did not come for an inspection even after I repeatedly asked her to provide a date. She then used her spare key to open the apartment and then had her repair work done and now claims that the expenses had been in excess of $900. There was no damage at all to the apartment which could result in more than $900. I feel that she has literally taken my money and being totally unfair. I don't know what to do. Please help.

There was no written communication with the landlord for anything apart from the lease agreement.

Can I consider having a lawyer from the free services and appeal in the small claims court.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 12:22 PM
    You won't need an attorney for this. You can file a lawsuit in small claims court yourself. In most states in the US the landlord is required to provide you with either the security deposit or a detailed, written accounting of how they used the deposit, within a certain amount of time after you've vacated the property. If they don't provide you with the deposit or the accounting within that time then very often a court will rule that they forfeit the right to keep any of the deposit. Also, in many states the court will award you double or even triple the amount that the landlord wrongfully withheld.

Look at the sticky at the top of the Real Estate Law forum to find out the laws in your state. Do a Google search to see if your county has filing instructions online for small claims court. Search for your county, your state and "small claims court". If they don't have anything online then you can go to the county courthouse and pick up the forms you need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I have given the two months notice, before we moved in Apartment not cleaned and the Land Lord is aware, also the maintenance manager came in and saw it and signed a paper that nothing was cleaned . He told as that when we moved out we did not have to clean, he would have it cleaned on his...

Keep Security Deposit [ 3 Answers ]

We own a house in CO. A tenant signed a 1 year lease. He gave us 30 days notice that he was going to break the lease 3 months early. He lost his job, girlfriend... etc... We told him we were going to keep the security deposit for breaking the lease early, but not hold him to the terms of the...

Security Deposit [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My name is Cierra and I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend Moncel Anyway, He moved out of his old apartment in January then moved into another... Since he was working at this job since October 06 they have been receiving his social security checks, paying his rent with that money... SO that...

Security Deposit! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi; I have a situation on where my previous landlord wants to keep my deposit. I lived in his property for 3 years. Never paid a late rent nor did any damages in his property. His house has 16 years and never had made any changes except for the counter in the kitchen. The shades (verticals) of...

Help my security deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.) Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate...

View more questions Search