Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    capability Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Small claims
    I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the money back... that was almost 10 months ago,, now he says because he gave my daughter a pool table he need not pay me... I don't see the connection... he says that during the time we saw each other he "gave you more than you gave me"... I also don't see a connection... my question... if he gave my daughter a pool table does that mean that he need not give me back the money I gave him for the trip that didn't happen? I have a copy of the canceled check... a copy of the canceled itinerary that shows the money was returned to him... I have asked him for the money but he says I haven't... can I sue for court costs and the use of my money... 10 months... and my lost wages and so forth in a small claims court?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 3, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by capability
    I am going to sue in small claims court...the situation is....I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened...i canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost...it was all on his credit card...when it came back to his card he never gave me the money back....that was almost 10 months ago,,,now he says because he gave my daughter a pool table he need not pay me...i don't see the connection....he says that during the time we saw each other he "gave you more than you gave me"...I also don't see a connection...my question...if he gave my daughter a pool table does that mean that he need not give me back the money i gave him for the trip that didn't happen? i have a copy of the canceled check...a copy of the canceled itinerary that shows the money was returned to him...I have asked him for the money but he says I haven't...can I sue for court costs and the use of my money...10 months...and my lost wages and so forth in a small claims court?
    I doubt that small claims will award you anything beyond the money paid for the trip. Bring all your evidence with you in triplicate: one copy for you, one for the judge and one for the plaintiff.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Gifts given in the timeframe which you two dated, as well as him giving your daughter a pool table, have absolutely no bearing on this situation.

You should be able to recover the cost of the trip but like LA said, probably not the lost wages. And yes, bring 3 copies of everything so that no one is left out of the loop. Some judges will not accept forms or evidence unless there is a copy for each party, including the court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 7 Answers ]

My car was hit back in April. Since no one was hurt, and I was in such a hurry to get where I was going, I did not call the police. I quickly jotted down the man's information myself. However, I cannot get money out of the guy. He said he would pay and now isn't. The damage is approx $400.00. ...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

Took ex boyfriend to small claims, HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I took my ex boyfriend to small claims because he owes me $2,600. And I won, but I am having trouble getting the money. I tried to garnish his wages, he works with his grandfather, so they lied and said he is working part time. So I couldn't garnish. What do I do?? I want to know if I can take...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Every One, My question tonight is about suing in small claims court.. Really its more about what am I allowed to sue for.. I entered in to a verbal agreement with a old friend of mine to help him out.. Honestly to help him stay out of jail. He was on house arrest and needed a phone so I...

View more questions Search