Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Nov 17, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Wage garnishment
    I have a question about wage garnishment. First off, I have read about Indiana wage garnishment, and do not quite understand. It says that creditors can garnish 25% of your disposable income. What I do not understand is what exactly is my disposable income. If the debt is only in my name, are they only going by what I make, or do they count my husbands income as well? I would think only my income, since I am under the impression that my husband cannot be held liable for a debt I accrued before we were married and I cannot be held accountable for a debt he accrued before he married me. I had a lawyer tell me this, but another lawyer told me differently. Does anyone know for sure?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Disposable income is after taxes and some deductions. The percentage is based solely on the single check. So if you have a variable paycheck get commissions, work different hours, etc.) they caclulate the percentage on the amounts on that one pay.
    Too Short Posts: 85, Reputation: -1

Nov 24, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Disposable income is after taxes and some deductions. The percentage is based soley on the single check. So if you have a variable paycheck get commissions, work different hours, etc.) they caclulate the percentage on the amounts on that one pay.
    I have a similar post

say that I earned 730.00 and I had deductions such as:

Fit 78.00
    OASDI 45.26
    HI 10.59
    state income tax 8.61
    Health insurance 19.50
    Credit union contribution 35.00
    United Fund contribution 5.00

I add up all my deductions and I get 238.46 That's my disposable earning
    And I had a 25% credit garnishment

730.00-238.46=491.54 times 25%=122.89

But that's wrong the answer suppose to be 137.76

What am I'm doing wrong
    FootballGuy Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Too Short, are those all the deductions? If so, I got $201.96.

If that's correct, that would put your disposable income to $528.04, (assuming a $730 gross). Then, 25% of that is $132.01. Still not quite the $137 you're looking for though....

Nov 24, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballGuy
    Too Short, are those all the deductions? If so, I got $201.96.

If that's correct, that would put your disposable income to $528.04, (assuming a $730 gross). Then, 25% of that is $132.01. Still not quite the $137 you're looking for though....
    I'm Sorry

All my deductions

Fit 78.00
    Fica OASDI 45.26
    Fica HI 10.59
    State income tax 36.50
    State disability insurance 8.61
    Health insurance premium 19.50
    Credit Union contribution 35.00
    United fund contribution 5.00
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
    From what I see, your credit union is a savings account and the garnishmnent is done before money goes to savings accounts. ( since nothing would stop you from putting your entire check into your credit union)

At least that is how I have seen it applied.

Nov 24, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    From what I see, your credit union is a savings account and the garnishmnent is done before money goes to savings accounts. ( since nothing would stop you from putting your entire check into your credit union)

At least that is how I have seen it applied.
    Thank you all I want to know was how cause I don't understand thank you so much.

Nov 24, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Short
    Thank you all i want to know was how cause i don't understand thank you so much.
    So do I have to deduct everything and then by 25%.

Please help me I don't understand

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card wage garnishment [ 5 Answers ]

Can credit card companies garnish wages?

Wage [ 2 Answers ]

What is the hourly rate for a junior in Australia?> Does anyone know?

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what to do about a wage garnishment that I am not even sure what it is for, the law office gave me no information, please help. My e-mail is [email protected]

Wage Garnishment [ 11 Answers ]

I recently moved from GA to SC for a job transfer. South Carolina does not have a wage garnishment law but Georgia does. My company's headquarters is in Atlanta and they have been served with a court order to garnish my wages for an unpaid credit card debt. The garnishment order was processed well...

I need advice! Wage garnishment? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I rented a car from AVIS, chose not to have to Loss Damage Waiver. Well it figures, while driving the convertible top flew open and bent the bars so it wouldn't close anymore. Right away I called AVIS and told them what happened, they said bring the car back. So, to make a long story...

View more questions Search