Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schauerb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Chase Bank Summons
    I recently received a summons to pay a chase bank credit card off within a short timeframe. I received my summons on 11/20 stating I needed to provide a written response within 30 days of the date stamped on the summons. The problem is the summons was dated 11/2 which does not give me much time to gather information.

Is it legal for a credit card company to garnish your wages? Put a lien on my house?

I am considering bankruptcy for first time in my life so I am really nervous about the unknown.

Thanks for your help.
    Rober
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 11:39 AM

If the credit card company obtains a judgment in court against you, yes, it is legal for them to lien your house, raid your accounts and if allowed in your state garnish your wages.

What they are allowed to go after and in what amount depends on the state where you live.
    XTC832 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Nov 23, 2009, 06:11 PM
    If creditors obtain a judgment from the court, then yes, they can freeze your bank accounts, and/or garnish your wages, if you live in a state that allows garnishment. Yes, they can also petition the court to get a lien placed against your property. But the key word here is "can." It's possible but few creditors will ever try it unless the property is about to be sold either on the market, or at auction via a sheriff's sale. Liens give the lienholder a secured ownership interest in the property. But they are positional, that is, they have to get in line to be paid, if in fact there is equity leftover from the sale or the auction. Senior liens and taxes always get their money first. If your property is free of any liens right now, then they could attach a lien for the amount that is owed. This would prevent you from selling the house until the lien got paid. The lien gives them an ownership interest. It doesn't give them the right to take your house and sell all your possessions. (What will these creditors think of next?? ) Keep in mind, there is no "free money." A lien is possible but it can only be the amount owed. They can't take a $200000 house away from someone when the lien amount is $5000.

As a bankuptcy consultant, I can tell you that you're not alone with the way you feel about bankruptcy. In the past 2 years, bankruptcies have been flying off the charts. More people than ever are filing, for various reasons, (job losses, medical problems, etc.) You shouldn't feel nervous or worried about it. Although it involves a lot of paperwork and financial proof, the bankruptcy process is quite simple, and over 90% of those who file Chapter 7 get their discharge. The discharge relieves you of any liability of any debt (except IRS, child support, student loans) included in the bankruptcy. It also stops all collection efforts, lawsuits, garnishments, judgments. There's a few exceptions in there, but for the most part, you won't be getting harassed anymore.

Years ago, bankruptcy was so dreaded, but in today's economy, people want their lives back. It does stays on your credit report for 10 years, but just ask yourself this, "Do I want to keep paying credit card debt for the next 15-20 years or can I live with the fact I filed bankruptcy and had them all removed?" For some people, the answer is obvious. If you're interested in bankruptcy, leave another post or consult with a good bankruptcy attorney in your area. Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2009, 06:23 PM
    First are you sure this was a "summons"? A summons will state the amount being sued over, but it generally doesn't say anything about paying, that's just implied.
    But I suggest you browse through similar threads here for how to answer the summons and what your next steps should be.
    You've gotten good advice so far,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chase has low interest Hardship program. Does Bank of America? [ 9 Answers ]

I was able to enroll in the Chase credit card "Balance Liquidation Program". This closed my account and gave me a fixed monthly payment. The balance is to be paid off at 2% interest over a 5 year period. This is a hardship program based on certain life events (divorce, death of spouse... I don't...

Chase Manhattan Bank is Suing Me! [ 4 Answers ]

I am writing with hope that I can find a way out of this situation without losing my car or having to claim bankruptcy. SITUATION: 1. I am a self employed resident of Massachusetts and had a Chase Manhattan credit card issued to me in March 2002 with a $10,000 credit limit. After a divorce and...

Chase bank changes to account [ 4 Answers ]

I also received the letter from Chase Bank about the changes to our account with payments increasing from 2% to 5%. This will take our payment from $450.00 to approx. $1100. In this letter I do not see where it says what happens if we do not agree to these terms. I thought that was supposed to...

Chase Bank has raised minimum payment due [ 7 Answers ]

I recently received a notice of change to my Chase account . "YOUR MINIMUM PAYMENT DUE WILL INCREASE FROM 2% TO 5% OF THE ENDING BALANCE. " In other words, this account's monthly payment will go from 200.00 a month to 500.00 a month. There is NO way I can pay this amount. I am on a fixed income...

Chase Manhattan Bank wiles [ 1 Answers ]

My wife decided to stop using and close her 6 credit cards totaling $80,000 in 2002. When she informed the credit companies of what she was doing she also stated that she was going to only pay on the ones she could afford to pay. I as a new husband to her in 2002 I gave her enough cash so she could...

View more questions Search