Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrdoe123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Being sued by credit card company
    I live in Florida and am being sued by an attorney's office. The debt from is a credit card company. I have a hearing for summary of judgement. I am married and have kids, can they court order my wages garnished? Will the judge decide my monthly payments? What will happen if I don't show up? Please help.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 04:16 PM

Yes, yes, and you will have a default order issued against you for the full amount plus legal fees and an judgment will be issued and your wages can be garnished
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2009, 04:47 PM

If they obtain a judgment against you, then they can petition the court to garnish your wages. No the judge will not decide any payments. The judge will just award a judgment to the plaintiff and it will be up to the plaintiff to collect the judgment. If you don't show up the judge will grant a default judgment.

There are dozenjs of threads in this forum the Bankruptcy & Debt and Credit forums that deal with this and explain what you should in answering the summons and dealing with the suit. I siggest you read them. If you have any specific questions afterward, please feel free to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Being sued by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida and am being sued for credit card debt. I have a hearing for motion for summary judgement against. What's the worst that can happen to me

Being Sued by credit card company [ 12 Answers ]

I owe 20,000 in credict card and I am self employed but work very slow know, and don't have any assets and nothing in the bank, my question is once I go to court... what happen there, how is the court process about being sued by a credict... and .if.. it is better to find a lawyer or handle it...

Being sued by Credit Card company [ 1 Answers ]

I just a served saying I'm being sued. The CC company sold my debt to a Holding company. Now they are suing me for over 20K. Question is who knew after 4 yrs they sold it. I did not agree to pay them they bought it cheap. I did not sign anything with this company. Do I have to pay them for there...

Getting Sued By Credit Card Company [ 2 Answers ]

If my husband is getting sued by a credit card company, can they take our car if we need it for medical reasons on our daughter?

View more questions Search