Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgodfrey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Statute of Limitation on Chapter 7
    Bankruptcy court was notified of a settlement my ex-husband is to receive. His bankruptcy was discharged in May 2004. Do they have a right to reopen his bankruptcy to claim money for previous debts?
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 7, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Chapter 7 bankruptcy or "straight bankruptcy" is the most popular form of bankruptcy because it allows the debtor to "wipe the slate clean" and start all over. This code is available to individuals, couples, corporations and partnerships. Discharge normally occurs within 4-6 months after filing.

Non-exempt assets will go under the care of a trustee who liquidates them to satisfy creditors in order of their secured interests. Any wages a debtor earns is off limits to creditors who had a vested interest on the date of filing.

This code is generally used by those who lack sufficient income to cover outstanding debts after taking care of basic necessities, and who have no hope of ever repaying their creditors. There are certain obligations that are not dis-chargeable, for example:

Alimony and child support

Back taxes under 3 years old and student loans

Recently made purchases for substantial amounts

Property executed contracts involving titles or liens

Before considering chapter 7 you should take an inventory of the types of debt owed. This will give you a better idea if filing will give you the relief you seek.

Who should consider chapter 7.
    * If there is no hope of repaying any of your debts.

* If there are no cosigners involved,

* If court action by creditors is imminent, filing stays all collection proceeding while in court.

Downsides
    Ruins your credit. If you have a cosigner, they will still be responsible for the debt you discharge. Pay attorneys, court and filing fees upfront.

Alternatives
    If you can't discharge enough of your debts or have to sacrifice too much property you may want to consider chapter 13 or a credit counseling / debt consolidation repayment plan.

Unless your husband had established credit with that creditor...all judgements should be final...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitation (SoL) ontario [ 11 Answers ]

I live in ontario,Canada . 7 years ago, going through divorce, I stopped paying my debts ( credit cards, line of credit (unsecured), personal loan(unsecured),store cards). Collection agencies were chasing me but had no luck finding me. This week I check my credit report from both equifax and...

Statue of limitation [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitation on statutory rape? Also, the time of limitation has passed, what other way can you charge some one with statutory rape against a 14 year old, if they were 25 at the time?

Statute of limitations [ 6 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations after taking chapter seven bankruptcy in the state of Illinois, for a second mortgage to be null if I have reafirmed on the 1st. Mortgage? I went bankrupt in 2001 I reafirmed on the initial mortgage and not on the 2nd. Can I ever sell the property without paying...

Statue of Limitation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of Limitation on a DUI charge in BC or Canada. I have a warrant out of my arrest in BC. I didn't even know about it until I was pulled over in Alberta. I was under the impression from the cop that I talked to on the phone that I had taken care of all of that mess. But then I...

Collection Agency-Sttatue of limitation to collect deb [ 13 Answers ]

I have been contacted by Nordon Collections on a debt from May 2003 In which they advise I owe $9,467.00 due to a car loan after they sold The vehicle on a repo they advised I owe this amount and will take Me to Superior court If I don't pay it today and garnishee my wages. I advised them I do...

View more questions Search