Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mztella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Small claims
    I won a small claims lawsuit but the person I sued won't pay. First question is what are some ways to get my money back from this person ( who is determined not to pay). And the only property that I know about is a house, is putting a lien on the house a good idea because I can only collect if they sell. The winning are about $1600. With the interest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Depends on where if in the US, what state.

In some states you can put a freeze and attach their bank account, in some states you can put a garnishment on their pay check

You may or may not be allowe a lien on property again depending on the state you live in.

This is one of the problems, often my guess only about 1/2 of law suits won are actually ever collected.
    Mztella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Depends on where if in the US, what state.

In some states you can put a freeze and attach thier bank account, in some states you can put a garnishment on thier pay check

you may or may not be allowe a lien on property again depending on the state you live in.

This is one of the problems, often my guess only about 1/2 of law suits won are actually ever collected.
    I live in Michigan. Do you know anything about collecting here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I have the name of a person who has since been married and moved to Quebec How can I find out her married name and address for my small claims papers to serve her and do I use her married name even if the contract was in her maiden name?

I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the...

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there is a statue of limitations as far as small claims is concerned? From 2002 to 2006 off and on I was sending my now ex boyfriend money to stay in a hotel and supposedly money for us a place. I was to join him. But that did not happen. So is it to late to file? I can prove the...

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

Took ex boyfriend to small claims, HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I took my ex boyfriend to small claims because he owes me $2,600. And I won, but I am having trouble getting the money. I tried to garnish his wages, he works with his grandfather, so they lied and said he is working part time. So I couldn't garnish. What do I do?? I want to know if I can take...

View more questions Search