SimCity's Avatar
    SimCity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#1

Jan 31, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Selling before they put lien on house
    My mother-in-law is in a bit of trouble and may have a lean on her house put into effect. She wants me to buy it from her before this happens... what kinds of issues should I be worried about?
    mr.yet's Avatar
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176

#2

Jan 31, 2007, 12:09 PM
    If you buy any property and the date of the sale there is no lien on that property, than you are clear of any involvement about alleged lien.

A title serach would be the proper course of action in this case, to see if that alleged lien is there.
    Justice Matters's Avatar
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

#3

Jan 31, 2007, 01:33 PM
    In some jurisdictions, there are laws allowing creditors to attach liens or writs to transferred property if the creditor can convince a court that the transfer was done with the intent to frustrate creditors.

In Ontario, where we are based, the statute that deals with this is called the Fraudulent Conveyances Act.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#4

Jan 31, 2007, 01:44 PM
    While I agree with Mr Yet, I would be concerned about what Justice mentioned. I was about to mention something similar. If you buy the house and she continues to live in it, a court is likely to deem it a fraudulent transfer. Now, not only is she in trouble, but you are too.

If she is getting a judgmeent against her in small claims court, being able to put a lien on her home is not too likely. Even if it happens, it only means the lien has to be satisifed when the house is sold.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

#5

Jan 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
    And you actually have to buy it, pay her what it is really worth, if you don't have that much money you will have to get a mortgage and pay her the money.

HOA Filing a Lien on a house. [ 3 Answers ]

I am the President of my Home Owners Association. We have a couple of homowners who refuse to pay their home owner dues. It clearly states in our bylaws that we reserve the right to file a lien against your house if you are delinquent in paying your dues. My questions are, do we need a lawyer to...

No Lien, but can creditors come after house sale proceeds? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi- hope someone can help. Can't get a straight answer from my lawyer! My mother passed in 2004 with a large $20,000 hospital bill. They did drain their savings to pay about 25,000 of it! My dad had been making payments on the balance until he got sick. My dad died last March. He willed the...

House Lien Advice/Help please. [ 12 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, or If I can even find the right forum to get some advice, I will post my current situation in a few places and will check them all. Please Read I will try to be brief Current Situation : I'm a son trying to help out my dad with some...

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I live in Broward county, Florida, I defaulted in three unsecured business loans and two unsecured business credit cards all are guaranteed personally by me, now that the business has failed and the S corporation is dissolved, can these creditors go after me and put a lien on my...

Bad lien on house [ 1 Answers ]

A air conditioning company put a lien on my house, yet I never signed a contract with them to install a new AC unit. They said that I owed them money for installing the unit and removing it which was $800. I told them that I was interested in the purchase and installing of a new unit, but never...