Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    pleasantcorp's Avatar
    pleasantcorp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 29, 2015, 02:50 PM
    How do I collect a court judgment over 10,000
    Someone hit my parked car and there insurance company denied my claim.
    I tried to sue their insurance company but the people in the filing office told
    Me I cant sue the isurance company I have to sue the individual, so I did and I
    Won a 12,000 judgment. I was going to file a writ of execution but the people
    In that office said I am not likely to receive anything near what I'm owed so I
    Should talk to a laywer before I file. I cant find a lawyer that deals with accidents that don't involve injuries. What do I do?
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Oct 29, 2015, 03:01 PM
    You look for a lawyer that handles civil claims. You explain that you have won an award based on an accident and that you are trying to collect.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Oct 29, 2015, 06:07 PM
    There are some open ends here. Biggest thing is what was the reason for the denial? Did you have collision insurance? Typically, your company would pay and then subrogate. You can sue anyone you want. Whether you can win is another case. Remember, what is the basis for tort injury? The insurance company wasn't at fault, their insured was.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,292, Reputation: 7691

    Oct 29, 2015, 10:27 PM
    Now that you won the case, have you presented the judgement to the insurance company, and demanded payment? But again, you will have to try to garnish wages, garnish bank accounts of the person who hit your car.

    So you may want to also talk to some collection companies that have lawyers that work for them.

    Also you can find many lawyers, that you will pay by the hour, (regardless if they win or not)

    Collection of judgements are hard, in many cases they are never collected.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 30, 2015, 06:58 AM
    Winning a judgment is often the easy part. Collecting on it is usually harder.

    The first thing I would do is refile the claim against his insurance carrier. If he had liability coverage they should pay the court awarded judgement. Other than that, you have to find assets and then get the court to issue writs of execution against the assets.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Oct 30, 2015, 09:35 AM
    What do you mean by "the people in the filing office"? It looks like perhaps you shouldn't have listened to them.

    As others have indicated, consult with an attorney. Many take all sorts of cases, so finding "a lawyer that deals with accidents that don't involve injuries" is not what you really need to do.

    You really don't need an accident "specialist". As you have a judgment already, any attorney should be able to help you; and be aware that most lawyers who do nothing but accidents do that because they want to; they aren't necessarily specially trained in that niche.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to collect small claims judgment against corporation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I live in NYS and won a small claims judgment against a car dealership owned by a corporation. They did not show up in court and have since closed their dealership (but the corporation is still operating other businesses). I want to collect my judgment but don't know how! The clerk's...

After getting judgment in court,how visa creditor try to collect when one is unemploy [ 1 Answers ]

After getting judgment in court,how visa creditor try to collect when one in unemployed and nothing there to be collected?Can creditor freeze the savings account?What are the procedures for them to follow and for how long?Is the bankruptcy the only option?

Collect a debt over 4,000 dollars [ 1 Answers ]

How can I collect for a building I sold on the second mortgage, without the use of an attorney?

How can I garnish wages to collect a judgment? [ 34 Answers ]

I won a small claims judgment, but do not know how to collect on the judgment. The othe party did not even show for court. I have his SSN and have been able to get a current address. Any help is appreciated.

Have judgment... how do I collect? [ 1 Answers ]

I havw been awarded a judgement in small claims court. How do I collect. The judgement is for $1000. I would like to go against bank account. How do I go about it?

View more questions Search