Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    piscocoke's Avatar
    piscocoke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 2, 2007, 12:05 AM
    California private party used car law
    When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 2, 2007, 09:19 AM
    You can always try to sue, if you can prove the previous owner was aware of the defect. Also was the bill of sale marked as is, if there was no notice that the sale was 'as is" the argument that an implied warranty may apply.
    froggy7's Avatar
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

    Dec 2, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Generally, used car sales from private parties are considered "as-is" sales, with no implied warranties. And the seller's statements that "the car runs well", "in mint condition", etc. are not considered to be warranties. Something like "70% tire tread left" or "two-year-old battery" are considered to be warranties of that part of the car.

    Did you have the car checked by a mechanic before you bought it? (Not that this will help in your case now, since he either said the car was fine, in which case you are responsible for repairing things that break later, or he said that it wasn't, in which case you knew about the issues when you bought the car, and thus are responsible for fixing them.) If you didn't, you have probably just had a very expensive lesson in life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I serve Alcohol Beverages at a Private Party [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking of having a private party in which I would like to serve Alcohol beverages. Can anyone tell me how I can do so without a liquor license? It will not be a cash bar, however, there will be a bar and a charge at the door to enter.

Private Room in Private Home [ 8 Answers ]

I am renting a room and bathroom to a tenant. I have problems with excessing use of the in-home washer and dryer. I have asked tenant to restrict laundry to once a week, but she has not adhered to this. When I leave for work, I turn the power breaker OFF to the Washer and dryer, but she has...

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

Unauthorized Charge on card and release of private information to a third party [ 1 Answers ]

I have been out of work due to illenss and my storage unit was in arrears, when I called to see how much I owed I was told the account was current I asked how and she said it was paid for on my credit card, I told the rep that I did not have a credit card and she looked it up and said it was the...

View more questions Search