Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brekyron Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2011, 05:52 PM
    Help Bidding on a smaller property in Wash DC to maintain buildings and grounds
    Hi I need help with bidding on a property in Washington DC I can give all the details I no and have as possible.
    This is where the rubber meets the road for me. So here are the details thus far. It's in Wash dc
    This property has 4 buildings, multi family res (5+units) 3 stories, 44052 sq ft, lot size 43,180 sq ft. And this is all I have. I was asked to bring in my proposal to clean apartments for new move in's, and the up keep of the grounds itself. Which we call common ground area, or some may call it the grounds keeper.with this being said what would be a fair bid to get me in the door. I was told he has been threw 7 cleaning companies in 10 months. So I really want to give that wow factor for cleaning and a fair price for them as well as myself/employees:) please help if you can.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 3, 2011, 07:17 PM
    From my experience Brekyron it may be that they have gone through so many companies because:

1. the price to do the job has been bid way too low thus causing the labor hours to be less than necessary to do a good job.

2. Lack of a detailed specification detailing exactly what they want done in detail.

If you are looking for a pricing suggestion that is almost impossible with the few details that you have given.

A. What is the average size of these apartments?

B. How many apartment move ins average per month?

C. Exactly what level of cleaning are they expecting (carpet cleaning? Appliicance cleaning? Hard floor treatments? Window cleaning? Etc?)

D. "Common grounds upkeep"? What have they told you they expect from you? (Grass cutting? Snow removal? Power washing? Litter pickup? Tree/bush trimming? Etc?)

As you can see much more info is necessary. I will be glad to assist where I can but I will need much more info.

Stringer

Sep 3, 2011, 07:28 PM
    OK, I will be meeting with property manager this Wed so thank you for these extra questions

After the meeting I will repost what he has given me. God bless
    Business Expert

Sep 3, 2011, 08:57 PM
    Good, ask for specifications and ask the other questions also.

Stringer

Sep 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
    Hi Mr. Stringer

Well I had the meeting all there looking for is someone to maintain a total of 5 buildings but in two different locations no more than ten miniutes apart. All of the deminisions are the same from above, as far as the ground keeping he wants liter pick up, sweeeping and mopping of the halls, these units are three levels on the top level there is a huge window that will require window washing to a week, 1 laundry facility 3 washers, 2 dryers wiping down, sweeping and mopping since this development is only 1 year old it is well kept up from what I saw there just not happy with the cleaners? Office cleaning 2-3 times a week which should be no longer than 30-40 min the office is kind of small, sweeping & mopping, disinfect telephones, 1 bathroom, wipe down desk area, clean front window glass. The 1st building cleaning and grounds is from 8-11 then go to the other location and repeat same duties from 12-2:30pm for the 2 locatoin because its only 2 buildings. So a total cleaning of 6.5 hrs mon-Fri, Which I want to pay $10 an hr? So I hope this is enough info to help me come up with a proper bid to win this, they want to start a new company next month.

Sep 10, 2011, 07:53 PM
    I forgot to mention there is no snow removal needed, but I did tell him my guys could keep the stairs clear, also as far as the apartment move In/out there has only been three so far between last month and Sept. These are only 1/2 bedroom units. I have already gave my proposal for the turnovers. I just need help on the ground upkeep bid? What do you think
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
    My guess, they have been going with low bids, so they get poor work, You need to use your experience in this area to estimate how long it will take, how many employees you will need to hire for this, figure their over head for insurance and your business over head and if you are working what est hourly wage you will expect.
    Who is supplying the equipment, and more. And the bid should be the right bid, fair means high for you, and cheap to him.

I never try and be the low bid ( I am in a different field) but I sell the fact we do good quality work, if they want low ball, then you will be number 8 or 9 in a long line of people.

Sep 10, 2011, 08:14 PM
    OK thanks chuck yeah I sell my company as getting high quality service as well, because its true my guys are solid hard workers highly skilled. The meeting went well I just need to get them so numbers by Mon he was sold when I told him there is even no smell in these halls most people I know at least like a clean fresh scent that also disinfects when walking into a unit, I told him what I could offer, even down to snow removal that really got his attention, even though its not needed, so he said well that would be a plus if they could at least keep the stairway clear. I said no problem. I was thinking all I need is 1 strong person for this job its only 6.5 hrs total 3 buildings at 1 site and two at the other like ten minutes away so all I need is 1 one person who drives, $10 an hour and I will have all supplies, I alrady have mop, mop bucket, and all cleaning supplies for these buildings, before I even knew about this site I was buying supplies with the hope that I would receive a ground contract soon :) oh and shovels. Like you said basicall why I have 1 good time to hit this number and of coarse I don't want to bid to low even though the job sems small. I myself will not be on this property, I will say maybe to a month in the beginning to make sure everything and everyone is happy with services and we have no complaints. What you think? Because I no he did say something about the boss comes by 1 a week and they want to know why? He says this guy is from of the streets and has never done this type of work before.
    Business Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 08:17 PM
    Okay,

Please remind me how many days per week? (impoortant)

if 5 days per week and if you feel this job is very competitive then I would bid at $18.00 per hour.

5 days = 261 days (year) divided by 12 months = $2,550.00 (rounding) per month based upon 6 1/2 hours total per day if I understood you correctly.

That's $117.00 per day.

Now pricing is always your decision in the end this is only a price based upon my experience and the competition in my area.

If this is 6 days per week then $117.00 X 312 days (year) divided by 12 months = $3.042.00 per month.

Chuck is correct, you must work your figures back to make sure that you have 'covered' every expense (overhead) including taxes and profit.

Good luck, stay in touch to let us know if you have any more questions or about the bid results.

Stringer

Sep 10, 2011, 08:53 PM
    Thank you, yes It is 5 days a week, because I had something like 2,535 myself. Wow I really like the way you came up with your bid, I was doing it a little different, thank you guys so much this is so helpful, words can't even explain taking the time out to put my brains to work on how to do a proper bid, and that's going to be my bid, well you guys know Im new to this business so I have a question is it ever possible for a consumer to say this is a great proposal or whatever they might say, but just a little over our budget? I was told this is a bidding war and property managers don't have time for negotiations? I was trying to squeeze the budget out of him :) he was suppose to be calling me back with some numbers Thursday but nothing as of yet, I feel like you guys are apart of the family. God bless
    Business Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brekyron View Post
    Thank you, yes It is 5 days a week, because I had something like 2,535 myself. Wow I really like the way you came up with your bid, I was doing it a lil different, thank you guys so much this is so helpful, words can't even explain taking the time out to put my brains to work on how to do a proper bid, and thats going to be my bid, well you guys know Im new to this business so I have a question is it ever possible for a consumer to say this is a great proposal or whatever they might say, but just a lil over our budget? I was told this is a bidding war and property managers dont have time for negotiations? I was trying to squeeze the budget out of him :) he was suppose to be calling me back with some numbers thursday but nothing as of yet, I feel like you guys are apart of the family. God bless
    Buildings managed by property management companies almost always search for the lowest possible bid. It is like this all over the country, and it is a shame. And it is even tougher in this economy.

If given the opportunity to negotiate pricing the take the opportunity to 'shave' some of the work. For example; something that has to be done 3 times per week adjust to 2 times a week and so on. Then your costs and labor also come down, not just your profit.

Sep 14, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Hi guys I have another property up for bids this 1 is in Alexandria VA here are the details oh, I need help with bidding again it really helps me to see what ideas you guys have verses mines to come up with a proper bid, since Im still new @ this. OK this property has 19 buildings, a laundry facility in each that needs basic cleaning wiping down machines, sweeping & mopping. This is for common ground keeps, so the grounds just need liter pick up, & trash out. They are asking for stripping and waxing @ least twice a year & I have no idea how long it would take to strip and wax 19 buildings, from working with a friend who had guys doing this on a property the guys would strip and wax several buildings 2 days a week until they all where done? And this was a much larger property. Anyway they require 2 workers on the property working hours are only 8am until 1pm Mon through Friday. So if I had to come up with some hours for the stripping and waxing the whole five hours maybe 3 days out of the week until there done, and the other 2 days just regular maintaining property liter pick up, trash out, sweeping & mopping hallways, light window cleaning in halls the windows actually looks just like a house window, 3 levels, cleaning laundry area.
    Business Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
    Have you heard anything on the result from your last bid as yet?

Okay, let's get started. We need more details, I know that you gave us some info but more detail is needed;

Do you have written specifications from the property management?

Do you know how to strip and refinish hard floors?

What is the net square footage that you are expected to keep up? How much net square footage for the hard floors? How much square footage for the cleaning area (other than floors)?

Do you have the stripping machine and a buffer?

When is this bid due?

Stringer

Sep 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
    Hi Mr. Stringer to be honest I have been trying to drop off that proposal twice this week and no one has been there, so I will be going again Monday morning. Yes all the details I have came directly from proper manager, I myself do not know how to strip and wax my workers do, these are regular hallway floors just looks like tile flooring? The net square footage I do not have, all I Know is the property holds 19 bilings all 3 level units each building holds 9 apartments & laundry room in each building as well. I do not own a stripper as of yet or buffer I was told I can get 1 machince and change the padding one for stripping and one for buffing. My plans are as follow Gods will they are aceepting proposals now, the prior contract is up in January. My plans is to strip the floors in May and Oct thus giving me time to purchase this machine. Also Im looking at weather concerns also. Being to hot or to cold (snow) & trying to stripp and buff. I thought this would be two great months, I could be wrong but once again Im learning. So you let me know what your thinking?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore UltraQuiet 4 dishwasher flashing 'red' normal wash or smart wash light? [ 0 Answers ]

I want to know if there is a fix or repair button sequence to push for this red light flashing problem. According to all the other posts that I find, the "green" light fix is pretty simple, but I can't find a similar problem and solution to the red light normal wash flashing. The start button...

Kenmore elite ultra wash dishwasher quiet guard 7 with the turbo wash. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kenmore elite ultra wash dishwasher quiet guard 7 with the turbo wash. The middle spray arm has stopped spinning. I changed the feed tube going up to the arm, but to no avail. The feeder tube assemble didn't come with the Turbo section. I checked the water level and it seems adequate and I...

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher - flashing normal wash and Cancel lights? [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher - flashing normal wash and Cancel lights? Is there any easy fix to the flashing lights? I have the "normal wash" and "Cancel" lights flashing. The dishwasher does not work. Model: 665.1385

Kenmore ultra wash quiet guard deluxe dishwasher is stuck in wash cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I got a kenmore ultra wash quiet guard deluxe dishwasher for Christmas. My husband installed it and it seems like it is stuck in the wash cycle. It ran for an hour and a half and it never drained, so we finally shut it off. Any suggestions?

Landlord doesn't maintain property [ 1 Answers ]

I am also having a problem with my landlord, we moved in 12/06 and had numerous of issue with our maintenance work. i sent out letters, i called and i even went to the office to complain: they all keep telling me that they will get someone to look at it.... my bathroom wall next to the shower stall...

View more questions Search