Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabrinacorrigan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 01:14 AM
    How to become bonded
    I am looking into a small bizz that I often see advertised as Lic/Ins/bonded after a bit of online research I am having a hard time finding out just what they are bonded for , The service is pet walking. What kind of bond and where might I get one? Thank you:confused::confused::confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2009, 01:55 AM
    Hi, sabrinacorrigan!

Basically, the kind of bonding that is referred to here, is an insurance guarantee to people who employ someone, that if the person employed, or employees of the person employed cause an unforeseen financial loss, that the person who suffered the loss is guaranteed to be covered in some way monetarily for the loss.

I believe that the type of bonding about which you're asking concerning being self-employed, is usually referred to as a Surety or Indemnity Bond. Although, there are various types of bonds, and it might actually be called something else, depending on that for which the bonding is needed.

A person can get bonding insurance usually from most full coverage insurance agents or from just looking for people in the Yellow Pages of the phone book who will provide that kind of insurance.

In a lot of instances, the people who advertise that they are bonded aren't really required to be so because of any laws and being bonded can just make them look better for advertising purposes. There may be some rare instances where a customer might require someone to be bonded in order to do the work.

I've been doing various things in people's homes and yards for over 30 years now, and only once has a customer asked me if I was bonded. My response was, that it isn't required in the states where I work to do the kind of work that I do. Everything was okay, then.

A person who is self-employed while working for others, should always at least have liability insurance.

The laws concerning these things will also vary depending on where someone is doing the work, so it would help to know at least the approximate location as to where this is happening.

Also, how much do you want to work at this type of business, please?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being bonded [ 1 Answers ]

I was bonded back in 1987 to work at Beneficial. Is that bond still good? How long does bonding normally last? If I don't still work there am I no longer bonded? Thank you

Becoming bonded [ 2 Answers ]

What is checked for a person in the state of Alabama to become bonded? The job would be at an university working with money. Is it just a criminal background or is there a credit check?

Getting bonded [ 1 Answers ]

Thinking of starting a cleaning business for bank owned properties and they said I needed to be bonded. How do I go about doing that?

Being Bonded [ 2 Answers ]

My boss's husband says that all three of the employees of her tanning salon need to be bonded or the insurance is going to drop them. What is being bonded mean and will a insurance company really drop you because your employees are not bonded? I've been working since I was 17 yrs old and have...

Is it necessary to be bonded? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it really necessary to be bonded for a home care service business in Nevada?

View more questions Search