Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    americorpsvista Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Non-profit thrift store desperate
    I am looking for any information, tips and ideas on how to keep our small town thrift store afloat. Right now we are barely making it. I need to come up with some ways to increase revenue. All monies made go directly to suppor to our crisis center where I live. We have a constant steady flow of items donated, but not a whole lot of customers. PLEASE, ANYTHING!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 09:54 PM
    You might want to try some free online advertising. Most of the best sites are listed on the following link.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...ng-103010.html

Using those sites works great for the businesses that I have.

How about contacting some churches in the area and see if they will announce in some way about your store to the congregations?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Also try printing up some flyers and get them out and around your area, Since almost everyone has a computer and printer now I'm sure you can get some people to print up a bunch for you. Have specials on weekends like buy three shirts get one 1/2 off. Or have a spinning wheel with percent offs printed on it, let the customer spin the wheel and give them the discount that the wheel stops on. Or something to that effect. Go to your local Churches and see what they can do to help you advertise your store, since it is such a good cause! A lot of churches have newsletters that advertise local businesses. On weekends offer free refreshements like from 12-3, or some designated time like cokes or coffee and cookies.
    americorpsvista Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I have done all these ideas that you both have listed and MORE!! Store hours: 10am-4pm, M-th, 1st F of month. Prices vary: .25 up to 10-20 dollars on larger items. Is there something I could do differently as far as "imagery" (store appealing to the customers eye) as to setting up the store?? Different hours? Pricing?? We offer coupons and g. certificates all the time, plus Every Monday is coffee and cookies. I was hired to increase this little stores' revenue by 300%... During the summer when I started it made more in one month than it had in its entire year last year($87 yr. 2006) (Over $400 1st month 2007).. we run solely on the help of volunteers & 1 pd. Store manager... I offer incentives, gift cards, birthday gifts volunteer of the month etc... to keep, retain & recruit volunteers but I have had no such response... I leave flyers at grocery store... & around town. THANK YOU SO much CLOUGH & LOVELESSPA for your help.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 02:22 PM
    You are welcome for the help! :)

Perhaps some wording that you use for advertising could change some in order for you to get noticed more? It would help to know what the words and sentences are that you use in your advertising on print media and on the Internet in order to advise you more. For instance, would you put a couple of links on here for ads that you have placed on the Internet? Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Have someone visit various churches in the area. They can give a presentation of the work done by the thrift store. Be sure to show how little if any money is spent for staff.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 13, 2007, 08:27 AM
    You can get free and expert consulting from SCORE:

SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business"

They will give email advice, so you don't necessarily need to have a branch in your area to get help from them.

Vasily
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Have you ever thought of applying for a grant? Is your store a non-profit, as recognized by the IRS? Is it formally affiliated with the Crisis Center? Where is your Board of Directors on this? Or do you even have one?

Here is some information on grants for non-profits.
    Ongoing Grants - Education Grants, Non-Profit Grants, Grant Writing, Grant Writers

Are you able to host a fundraiser and get matching funds from another entity, such as AID Association for Lutherans (an example) or another community group or foundation?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by americorpsvista
    Store hours: 10am-4pm, M-th, 1st F of month.
    I'm just suggesting this as a working mother who still uses my neighborhood Thrift Store. Those are banker's hours. Those of us working 8 to 5 won't have a chance to visit your store. Why not have an early bird day, open at 7am or a happy hour, stay open to 5 or 6 once a week or every other week?

See if you an find a sponsor that will give away a used car. Then advertise it like crazy. They get a tax write off and lots of good PR and you can send out press releases to the newspapers, local radio and TV stations.

The store I use has senior days on Tuesdays, Military days on Wednesday and red tag day on Friday. They are very busy all day, year round.

Good Luck!
    celliott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
    First impressions
    Is your store clean and well organized, do you need to paint to make it
    More inviting. How's the bathrooms? Appearance is a big part of it as
    Well as low prices...
    HoustonTom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 09:43 PM
    If you would like to contact me, please feel free. I have many years experience in thrift stores. It more sounds like an issue with the internal issues of operation. These can be fixed with some hard work, but are easy to deal with.
    Handing out flyers etc. is NOT what it will take. Increasing profits all depends on what you are willing to take on...
    [Personal email address removed for privacy.]

-Tom
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTom
    If you would like to contact me, please feel free. I have many years experience in thrift stores. It more sounds like an issue with the internal issues of operation. These can be fixed with some hard work, but are easy to deal with.
    Handing out flyers etc., is NOT what it will take. Increasing profits all depends on what you are willing to take on...

-Tom
    We always appreciate and are glad to have people participating in answering questions on this site who are willing to give freely of their time and also keep answers on the threads so that others might benefit by the answers that have been given. Those reasons are just a couple of things that make this such a great site for people to use!
    bmdeblois Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Put a ad in the paper in the yard sale section:)
    molaleye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 10:51 PM
    Every Monday half off sale will get customer in the door! Use your radio station for advertising you might have to pay a small fee.Also make a phone list of people you know, all your employee friends and family number and let them no about the half off sale coming up. You can call people out of the phone book directly. Put an Ad in your Sunday paper about an incoming sale,make sure you tell them where the proceeds are going. I've in atlanta ga. I shop every Monday on half off day sales, sometimes through the week in the neighborhood thrift Store , they're always pack. I tell all my friends about the thrift stores "word of mouth" I hope this help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thrift store [ 5 Answers ]

What do I need to start a thrift store

Starting a Thrift Store for a Non-profit [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a college student who was given the charge of developing a business plan for a local charity, called Good Works. GW is an established charity that would like to open up a for-profit thrift store to help fund its homeless shelters. I am looking for thoughts on where to find...

Thrift Store [ 1 Answers ]

How do you start a thrift shop within an existing non profit charity?

Thrift store [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to get started on opening a thrift store consignment store any help

Thrift Store [ 2 Answers ]

What are the major things to starting a thrift store business?

View more questions Search