Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrock75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Entire Breaker Not Working
    Suddenly an entire breaker in my house stopped working. On this breaker are 2 electrical outlets (1 GFCI), 3 switches for 2 bathroom lights and a fan, and 1 switch for an outside light. For about 2 weeks before the power stopped working the lights in the bathroom would flicker if I had the TV on. I have tested the voltage and get 126V hot to ground, 120V neutral to ground, and 6V Hot to Neutral. There are no meaningful readings when the breaker is flipped off. I have checked the connections in the outlets and the switches for a loose neutral, but everything looks good. Any idea? Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 08:46 PM
    By stopped working, do you mean that the breaker tripped or just no power when the breaker is on. Are your switches and outlets back wired (wires stuck in little holes in the back)?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 04:06 AM
    You have an open neutral in one of the receptacles on this circuit.
    Remove every one and check the connections.
    As HK said, if they are back stabbed (wires are stuck in the holes in the back), move them to the side screws.

Jun 17, 2008, 07:43 AM
    I have already checked all the connections and moved the ones to the screws that were stuck in the back with no results. The breaker never tripped, the power just stopped working. I have checked all the switches and outlets, do I also need to do the same for the lights that the switches control?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Also check neutral connection at breaker panel.

Jun 18, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Was nervous about opening the breaker panel, but did it this morning and sure enough one of the neutral screws was loose. Tightened it up and all is working properly. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All receptacles quit working, & bathroom switch, changed breaker, still no power. [ 2 Answers ]

We were vacuuming master bedroom, and all of sudden all the receptacles went out, bathroom also and light switch. I got my tester, checked receptacles and get low light when bathroom switch is on, and when I turn the bathroom switch to off the tester shows I have no power to receptacles. I...

Wiring entire bathroom using 20 amp GFI breaker [ 7 Answers ]

Hello to all... and thank you for reading this. Here it is... and I know there are other ways (easier) to wire the bathroom, but this is how it is done now so I must proceed forward. I have sent a 12-2 wire into a 4 gang box in the bathroom (from a 20 amp GFI breaker... all wires to all...

Replacing GFCI Breaker With A Regular Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit serving only a single outlet on my deck. It is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker in the home's single 125 amp service panel. I wish to replace the GFCI breaker with a regular 15 amp GE breaker. I will then protect the circuit with a GFCI outlet. I am familiar with...

110 outlet stops working, NOT tripping any circuit breaker. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 outlet three feet from a 110 outlet. When I am using a clothes washer on the 110, it goes dead after a while (10-30 minutes). No breaker is tripped. When I turn on the 220 clothes dryer, the 110 washer restarts from where it left off.

Working out entire body in one day? Effective? [ 2 Answers ]

I work out my chest, arms, legs, shoulders all in one day and I work out every week. Many have been saying that I will not develop any body muscles by doing this.. and I was wondering if this was a false statement. Lots of people have a schedule to work out chests, shoulders, triceps one day.. and...

View more questions Search