Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    befic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 08:14 PM
    My entire apt is on 1 15 amp circuit
    Hi, I'm new here and have no idea what is going on but if someone could help me please!! I just moved into an old old old apt building that I love. As I was vacuuming, I blew the circuit. I suddenly realized my entire apt was on the same circuit. It is a one bedroom place, running on a 15amp circuit. Not to mention, some of the very sparse outlets available are not working. All outlets in the apt are 2 prongs holders and there is a wire running from outlet to outlet until it gets to a final outlet where it is plugged in. I am probably not making any sense but it is so odd. I went downstairs to flip the circuit after calling my landlord and he said, yep, the apt is on a 15 amp circuit, only 1 15 amp circuit. It seems a bit unrealistic to me. As I was vacuuming, I only had the living room light on with the ceiling fan (3 lightbulbs). Then later in the night it happened again to my mom while she was using the hairdryer. He said he has had to upgrade some of the apts to 20 amp circuits in the past and may have to do that to mine, but will that be enough? I requested that he at least try for 30, and I have not heard back. I'm wondering if the building is even up to code and this is legal, because the wiring seemed a bit odd to me. And if he gets an electrician in there, do they have to wire it to code? I'm worried about fires and it overheating mostly. I would also like to use appliances. Please advise if you could! :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 08:19 PM
    What about things like the fridge, the stove

Jun 8, 2008, 08:27 PM
    The fridge is on the same circuit, I'd say it is a medium sized fridge. The stove is gas. The only other appliances I brought with me are a microwave, a toaster oven, a coffee maker, vacuum, and a hair dryer. I also want to plug in a 2 lamps in the living room if possible. Needless to say, I won't be running all these things at once, and I'm not some extravagant person, I'm just trying to be reasonable about this... I would like lights while vacuuming or drying my hair, and also be able to brew some coffee in the morning. The building is at least 100 yrs old.

Jun 8, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Oh and I have a computer that I'd like to be on at all times and wireless internet. Also, I TV occasionally.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 05:52 AM
    I'd say look for a different apartment. Updating the wiring isn't a monumental task and says a lot about your landlord IMO. In any case, having multiple 15 or 20 amp circuits would be preferable to having one 30 amp circuit and code would likely require multiple circuits anyway given your situation. A reputable electrician would wire to code.

If all of the outlets are ungrounded (2 prong), you have a potential shock hazardous for any 3 prong grounded device used with an ungrounded adapter. Additionally, you may experience issues with the computer without a proper ground.

See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-9475.html for info on 15 amp wattage and EERE Consumer's Guide: Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use for common wattage values for devices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Entire lifetime of nightmares [ 71 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 54 year old male, living in South Carolina. I have spent an entire lifetime thus far suffering from chronic nightmares. I had constant nightmares as far back as age 4 or 5 in my memory, can still remember some specific nightmares back to the mid 1950s. To my knowledge, I have never...

Should I replace the entire H&A unit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old American Standard heat pump. It has leaked freeon and has been running on empty for probably over a month. We have a separate system in the other part of the house that has been trying to make up for the heat loss. The impaired system has been blowing cold air. I have had...

My boyfriend ex harasses his entire family and us [ 4 Answers ]

I am in need of some advice. My boyfriend was married before for 10 years and now they are separated for 7 years. His wife calls and harasses his entire family. She downs him to his children and now that we have a child together, she is telling him that he needs to put the kids that he had with...

Referencing Entire Workbook [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure I could probably find the answer to the question on my own but really don't have the time to search. Thinking maybe someone on here already knows. Is it possible to reference an entire workbook in a function? For Example: COUNTIF(, Paid) Thanks

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search