Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Should I eat before I run?
    Hi again,

I heard sumwhere that when you are looking to burn off weight, when you wake up in the morining is the best time to work out because it will burn the storred energy form the night or weeks before.But whenever I went to track in the morning our coaches always told us to eat first.So, in losing weight, should I eat before or after?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
    You do not eat before you run. There are several studies that state working out on an empty stomach in the morning burns a much higher ratio of fat than other energy sources. If you do eat before you jog, eat at least an hour before jogging.

You will most likely start cramping and possibly vomit if you eat before exercising. Eat after doesn't mean you gain weight back but look at it like a car: a car takes gasoline to go from one place to another but after that trip you need to refuel. Same with humans, we need to refuel after workouts. After working out eat foods that will continue burning fat like veggies and fruits. Most of those foods require more calorie to digest then what they contain.

Hope this helps.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 9, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Hi shy,
    If we take the car analogy a little further, is it OK to assume that since our cars require more fuel to operate when cold, then we would require more calories when exercising while the body is cooler? When I was in the military, we would go to PT early, VERY, early in the AM. Right after , we'd eat!
    And I agree with fruit and veggies theory. I saw a list of what burns how much sitting still kind of list... somewhere, I'll look for it. Maybe someone else has seen it...
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 07:54 AM
    When you expend energy (exercising), you need to consume extra energy to fuel the execise, your body burns about 100 calories at rest, or sleep. When highly active you can upset this balance if you don't eat in the AM and cause energy high and lows. If you skip a meal before a workout you put your body in a state of delpetion, especially after sleeping all night , for instance. Eating 1-3 hours before you run, a very "light" meal, 2-3 oz of protein, or some toast, yogurt, some fruit or juice will give you the energy and nutrition you need plus give your body the time necessary to digest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start->Run [ 3 Answers ]

I fixed my brother's computer a while back using a command that I cannot remember. His computer was constantly coming up with "Limited or no connectivity" and no matter how many different NIC's I used (wired or wireless) I couldn't get an IP from my router. Eventually I tracked down a little...

Anyone run 5k? [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one run 5ks here I am trying to got o state or something this year for my high school any tips on what I should do? I ran about a 18:30 my sophomore year ill be a jr this year coming up my team could really use me 2 step up it wouldhelp a lot we have a really good young team so help

Will this run? [ 4 Answers ]

Read this The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 - Graphic Hardware - Forums - www.atomicmpc.com.au I had a 9800pro running with this PSU (Macron MPT-300, 300W) just fine, so this article is saying I'd be able to run a 7600GS on my machine OK even though it's technically below the...

Run, Hillary, Run! [ 2 Answers ]

Someone is getting a good chuckle and probably making a mint. Why did I not think of this? A reversible bumper sticker. Democrats can use it on the rear, Republicans can use it on the front. http://www.bumpertalk.com/bt/images/items/BD513A.jpg ------------...

It won't run. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My other PC won't start. All it does is beeps. It has important stuff on it, to. I don't know what year it was made in, but it has WINDOWS 98 on it. Please help!!

View more questions Search