Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trudis2Princesses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Define Anorexia
    I'm an overweight person myself but I'm struggled with eating disorders all my life. I have been anorexic. But since I'm overwt, and starving myself constantly, and starting to lose wt, am I considered anorexic or is there a name for this?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
    It starts with starving yourself. In the beginning yuu think you can control yourself and control the eating disorder but it can, and does, overcome your abilities to see this as harmful. Because you do lose weight. Sadly, many people who are anorexic, when they lose the weight, still see themselves as fat, and do no eat.

Symptoms of anorexia include:
    Loss of at least 3 consecutive menstrual periods (in women).
    Not wanting or refusing to eat in public
    Anxiety
    Weakness
    Brittle skin
    Shortness of breath
    Obsessiveness about calorie intake

There are many medical risks associated with anorexia. They include: shrunken bones, mineral loss, low body temperature, irregular heartbeat, permanent failure of normal growth, development of osteoporosis and bulimia nervosa.

Continued use of laxatives is harmful to the body. It wears out the bowel muscle and causes it to decrease in function. Some laxatives contain harsh substances that may be reabsorbed into your system.

While anorexia is seen mostly in teens, I don't think there is an age barrier. It can develop at any major life development, a stress period, something life changing.

There is some good information on the following site:
    NAMI | Anorexia Nervosa
    http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-et01.html
    Anorexia Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment by MedicineNet.com

Best of all health to you. I know it is not easy to overcome, but it can be done. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't get over anorexia? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, 4 years ago I became anorexic, its hard to even remember why it happened, I just know every time I weighed myself or looked in the mirror I was fat! I was only 16 and didn't think any thing of not eating for a week and then only eating 500 kcals on some days.I didn't think it would harm my...

Some questions about anorexia. [ 5 Answers ]

What are some ways that you know you have anorexia? How exactally would you be anorexic? How do you act? What do you do?:confused:

How do you define love? [ 10 Answers ]

I found something really nice about LOVE, am wondering how you define love? or what does caring about someone mean to you? Summary of the Seven Natural Laws of Love Love is its own law. Let love be your guiding principle. When in doubt, listen to your heart. Don’t allow mental concepts,...

Anorexia [ 3 Answers ]

I like a girl A lot but she thinks she is fat. She doesn't has no fat on her. She has that like tiny bit of what I would call skin around her belt line in stomach. But she does not have a belly. She has already been put in a hospital for not eating. And talks about passing out like its nothing. She...

Someone Please define hooking up for me. [ 4 Answers ]

As I am creeping up on 40, I have lost some of the lingo, that is going around, I drive a bus for a living, and hear kids talk all the time, I constantly hear them say Ya, I was at a party and I hooked up with this one and then later I hook up with that one Someone Please define hooking...

View more questions Search