Ask
    ontheboards Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Heading Style
    I need help with why I should not use numbering in headings, for example:

Chapter 3
    Section 3.1 Screens Shots
    Section 3.2.1 Graphics

For instance someone is questioning to a particular section over the phone or via email they can just refer to the section number.

I have been told by an editor that he/she does like numbering style as it could make the header look to busy.

When did the use of this numbering style start?
    What type of industry is it best adapted too?
    Should it be used?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
    In the book I'm doing the chapter is numbered and figures, tables etc are numbered accordingly. So I have Figure x.1, x.2 etc then Table x.1, x.2 etc.

Using outline numbering (3.2.1) is overkill, but using a chapter then sequential number is standard for technical books.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heading toward cheating or not? [ 28 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long of a story, so I will just give the basic details. I am 28 (she is 27) and have been married for almost 2 years. We have a good relationship, as she is the opposite personality of mine for the most part and we rarely fight (and when we do it is over something...

Am I heading to an emotional abusive relationship? Again! [ 1 Answers ]

I met my boyfriend accidentally at a local restaurant while waiting for a table 10 months ago, after 3 months dating without any kiss or sex we decided it to make it official and exclusive and after the third month we kissed and we started to spend more time together, he works night shifts (12...

Heading for Divorce, Husband's debt concerns [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, My husband has been hiding debt / income from me. I have found out about a couple of unsecured personal loans and a large debt on a joint credit card. The loans do not have my name on them, and the credit card bill has his name only on the bill. I have cancelled my part of that card. ...

Heading for a break up - help please [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and my boyfriend and I have been together for 1 year. Everything was good until 3 months ago. Our arguments became more intense. No yelling or anything like that, just more frequent disagreements. About a month ago my boyfriend told me he wanted to take a temporary break but...

View more questions Search