Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maddies Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Eye infection
    Hi my small dog looks like it has red eye, she seems to scratch at it or rubs her eye in the grass. ANy idea what kind of infection this is?
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Jun 8, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Sounds like she has a scratched eye. You can order online Terramycin eye ointment jeffers.com and Pet Supplies, Pet Products, Equine Supplies, Horse Supply, Vitamins, Nutritional Supplements, Livestock Supplies & Farm Supplies - Valley Vet Supply and apply it to her. Or go to a vet and purchase it directly. But try to do this soon.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Before you squirt anything into her eye, check with your vet. She won't appreciate it if you dilly-dally and she ends up with an infection or even blind. Just like with your kids, don't play doctor on something you love.
    whoaitspris Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jun 8, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Before you squirt anything into her eye, check with your vet. She won't appreciate it if you dilly-dally and she ends up with an infection or even blind. Just like with your kids, don't play doctor on something you love.
    Agreed.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Visine is safe to give as relief until you can get the dog to the vet. It only relieves the symptoms. Don't mess with the eyes.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Jun 9, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Well, I am just telling her what my vet told me about my dog... He prescribed it, but told me that I could find it in pet catalogs (this was pre internet days) in case my puppy (ies) ever got rowdy again.
    Chicklet Posts: 35, Reputation: 10

Jun 9, 2007, 03:31 AM
    People come here mostly to avoid going to the vets and hopefully save some money,
    But one thing I noticed, Theirs rarely ever given an alternative route,
    Just always Take it to the Vets,
    I'm sure they knew that before they came here,

Everyone takes everything way to serious here,
    Like every question is being asked by someone to stupid to know theirs a vet out there.

"Give a Suggestion", But god don't give those, Someone may disagree and then your in for a long lecture,
    You don't learn nothing if you don't listen and share your experiences,
    Someone else can always teach you something new.

Back to the subject
    There is alternatives and it is safe to put some things in the eye,
    For one, Polysporin drops are safe and easy to use, And will cure most common eye aliments. Its gotten at any drugstore and is very easy on the pocket book,
    I know because I have used it for yrs and yrs for many many different eye ailiments and with a wide variety of animals. And never once did it do any harm. Just saved me tuns of money!

If the eye doesn't show drastic improvements within 24.48 hrs, (you should actually see improvements within hrs).or continues to get worse then yes, at that point it might be a good idea to consider taking it to the vets, But personally I'd look into something a tad stronger, That's what I've always done with excellent results and will continue to do.

Use your own head, the common sense God gave you, Listen to the suggestion, (when & if given) and then you do what you think is the right decision!
    Maddies Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Visine is safe to give as relief until you can get the dog to the vet. It only relieves the symptoms. Don't mess with the eyes.

Thank you labman l got her to vet , but that was great idea for short term relief lm sure my maddie would have enjoyed the relief.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
    I hope the vet was able to fix the problem.

I want to make some comments on ''Take it to the vet''. I am not here to collect green boxes for telling people what they want to hear. I am here because I have been fortunate to be mentored by very good people, and want to help the dogs I love, by sharing what I know. I freely admit not much of my training and experience is in the medical area. Anybody can give a knee jerk ''Take it to the vet.'' In many cases, that is exactly what is needed, even if it is not what the OP wanted. I hope I can help to sort out the cases where you call the vet now, even if it is 3 AM Sunday, the next regular office hours, the next routine visit, or not at all.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
    1.article link for eye infection . Conjunctivitis Purina ONE: Conjunctivitis Visine A.C. purpose: redness reliever and astringent, did not mention use for animals can be bought OTC . Polysporin antibiotic Eye/Ear Drops, Medicinal Ingredients: Polymyxin B & Gramicilin. Did not mention use for animals can be bought OTC. BNP Triple Antibiotic Oniment contains Bacitracin/neomycin/polymixin for use in animals can be bought OTC / online without prescription. Note hydrocortisone may hinder healing or worsen of the eye if a ulcerated cornea is present. Dog and Cat Health Care Information by Veterinarians at ThePetCenter.com, The Internet Pet Hosp. at the bottom of the page type in corneal ulceration (search engine) this will give you detailed descripition of what this is with photos. I am not telling you what to use or not use. I am only providing links an a brief descrp. Of these medicines. You decide what is right for your animal. :) peace
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 06:35 PM
    labman stated on another post that conjuctivitis can be a symptom of another problem... this is something that I failed to mention in my post. I found that conjuctivis can be virual or bacterial. I read this on more that one site. If it is virual eye med will give the animal comfort and it will clear up in a few days, but if it is bacterial then something more serious could be going on, and the eye infection can be a symptom of something more serious. If I were you and I was going to try and treat my animal myself I would really pay attention to how the cat was acting as a whole and not focus entirely on just the eye. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten with possible eye infection [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have just got a couple of kittens which are now 9 weeks old, a tom and a queen. Izzi the queen seems to have an area to the left of her left eye which has become quite crusty and white/creamy in colour. Both myself and my partner have become a little concerned about this and have...

Kitten Eye Infection [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: My cat just recently had a litter of kittens. They are almost a month old. All of them have opened their eyes completely except one. This one kitten has one eye open and the other seems so be infected because its not open and has this scab over it. Last night when I noticed it, I used a...

Kitten with eye infection [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 week old kitten has it's eyes crusted shut. Is there anything I can do for it before taking it to a vet?

Treating cat's eye infection [ 2 Answers ]

We have two kittens that are 13 weeks old. We got them from a breeder. We were told that they have had their fvrcp shots at 8,10,&12 weeks. They were wormed 3 times w/panacure. Since we received them their eeyes have constantly been watery and irritated. We have tried to flush thei eye out...

Dog Eye Infection [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed today that my dog is rubbing at her eyes lots with her paws. She has a green/white discharge coming from both eyes and her corneas appear red. This is VERY similar to when I had an eye infection months ago (pink eye with discharge). I still have the Voltaren drops ...

View more questions Search