Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    impalaman06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Residential zoning
    Hello:
    Trying to help a friend make an offer on a home zoned "SFR" in Nashville TN - it already has a built-in "mother-in-law" apartment in the lower level with proper egress etc. Anyone have any experience in obtaining the proper permits to allow a single family (non-related to owner) to rent in same house (upper level) with the owner occupying the downstairs apartment? Thanks
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jun 8, 2007, 03:38 PM
    If it is zoned as "single family", then technically the MIL-suite can't be rented out as a separate unit. The owner would have to try and get the lot re-zoned, which can be expensive and time-consuming.

In some states, you also have to have a separate certificate of occupancy for each rental unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fake zoning in two story house. [ 3 Answers ]

So I have the relatively common problem of non-uniform heating/cooling in my house and I'd like some input on how to make the best of the situation. I've put up with it for a couple years, but now, I'm at my breaking point. Basics: I have a 1600 sq ft, 15 year old, two story house with a...

Residential electricle [ 4 Answers ]

What decade was aluminum wiring installed on the interior of the house and what does it look like on the outer shieth. Allso what are your thoughts on the stuff. My family and I Are house shopping. Concerned shopper

A/c residential [ 4 Answers ]

Last summer when we had the really hot days of 90-100 degree temp outside my a/c system would not cool the house below 80 degrees inside and the unit would run constantly I decided today to check the system I put my guages on the cond. Unit and had a suction pressure of 45 and a discharg pressure...

Duct fans vs zoning? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I planned on zoning my basement from main home level to save energy cost and convenience of thermostat in basement. Recently, I found duct fans which increase air in ducts to room lacking. If I put duct fans in each duct(put on own breaker of course) can I tap into existing ducts and get...

Residential Land Contract [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to find an instructional package for residential real estate land contracts that may also contain forms for both buyer and seller? Hopefully at minimal cost.

View more questions Search