Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lebijoux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Cuban to america to canada to in limbo
    I will make is short and brief.

I am dating a cuban. His storey is that he left cuba to marry an american, but got himself in trouble with the law ( charged with intent of arson, and threats). He was charged and was supposed to serve time but fled to canada before serving his time or applying for a common-law spouse visa (he never got married). Canadian immigration tried to deport him back to the usa, but they don't want him. And he cannot be deported back to cuba because of their laws. So now he sits in canada "in limbo". Canada has given him an immigration paper that recognizes him as "someone" but they have put so many restrictions in regards to what he can and cannot do. He can't go to school, teach, work in certain professions, he is not bondable, and worse of all he cannot leave.

What would be our first course of action?
    What should he do to get something started in regards to getting back home? It has been
    8yrs here in canada.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Hello l:

Well, if Cuba won't take him back, then they're NOT going to take him back. If he tries to get to the US, they'll put him in the slam and hold him after his sentence is up as an illegal alien, so I wouldn't head south.

Therefore, I think he should try to achieve political asylum status in Canada, and he's going to need a Canadian lawyer to do it.

excon
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Although his crimes were in the US he can request a pardon from the Canadian government, if granted the pardon he could then apply for permenent residence and not have all these restrictions placed on him.

Check the link below, but again as excon said, he will need a lawyer

CIC Canada | Overcoming Criminal Inadmissibility

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cuban bread get stale [ 5 Answers ]

Cuban bread gets stale. And hard like a rock. I've tried putting in The microwave. Then I wrapped it in a wet paper towel, and put that In the microwave. No benefit. Still like a rock. Any suggestions

US citizen married a Cuban but. [ 1 Answers ]

I have some big issues that I need help with... I married a Cuban guy & he's been a resident for almost 8yrs. He never wanted to apply for the citizenship but I wanted him to do so because of all the changes w/ Immigration Law. The problem is that he committed a felony & got 5 yrs probation - 2...

My son in limbo [ 1 Answers ]

I was served with papers showing courts from North Carolina wishing to establish paternity on my son. I was served with divorce papers stating a child wasn't conceived in the marriage years ago. My ex-wife the mother; her rights were relinquished by the state for being suicidal or taking drugs. ...

Cuban songs help [ 5 Answers ]

There was a song in cuba that they always played at the end of the night and I think it was called conga de santiaguera and it was like reggaetonish. If anybody nos what this song is called and who its by please tell me. There was also another song that they played during the entertainment at my...

View more questions Search