Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Time for the vet?
    Hello. Well, I have an 18 mo. Old Lab/american bulldog mix. The other day he knicked his back leg. I am not sure how and it didn't look like it bothered him. It was about a pea size spot. Well... now he won't leave it alone.
    I have caught him licking it. Now, it is twice the size. I don't think it is infected.
    I want him to leave it alone - but how? If I bandage it - I am sure he will just rip it off.
    So, what do I do.

Do I take him to the vet - just to be sent home with a large bill and instructions that could have been done here in the 1st place?

Again - he isn't limping - he lets me look at it and touch it and it doesn't look like it is infected.

What do I do?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 08:37 AM
    There is a cone at the pet store you can buy... it goes over his head, probably cheaper at walmart or one of the big chain stores... also vets carry them you can just walk in and buy one. Cost varies depending on size. I would try this first, although at night I'm not sure if you could use this maybe some of the other posters will know. :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 08:39 AM
    We have a "hat" from when he was fixed. Will that keep him from his hind leg? It's been a while since we have had it on him. He looks so defeated when he wears that thing.
    Chicklet Posts: 35, Reputation: 10

Jun 8, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Not a simple solution I suppose, Because it entitles knitting :)

But I Knitted a pair of pants for one of my Dogs, then attached it to a Dog coat,
    Worked great too. And he actually got to liking it :)

He looks so cute with his pants on.
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 09:09 AM
    You know, my husband gives me grief because I keep buying clothes for my dog - I can just see the expression if I had pants on him. :)
    Of course, now you are going to have to explain knitting to me.
    Chicklet Posts: 35, Reputation: 10

Jun 8, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Learning to knit is a hands on,
    And takes plenty time to learn.

If you wanted knitted pants, put up an ad, maybe someone close by will take your dogs measurements and knit you a pair :)
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 8, 2007, 09:56 AM
    The best solution would be going with the elizabethan colar (the cone) to keep your dog from licking the wound. The most important thing is to keep him from licking the wound so whatever works for you. If he keeps licking the wound he could cause what is known as a lick granuloma. These are very nasty looking wounds that end up becoming infected and oozing. If this happens then the dog will have to be put on antibiotics. So whatever you can do to prevent him from licking his wound do it or else you might be getting a pretty expensive vet bill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat sick but vet hasn't been helpful [ 8 Answers ]

My cat was not eating for a four days after vomiting clear slavia or a bile looking substance I took him to the vet four days in a row following to get hydrated and for some appetite pills. X rays were taken each time and nothing was found but gas. The cat then slowly came around and started...

How much money for a vet check-up? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I just got my new female maltese and I am wondering how much the vet 1 and 2 shots, worming, neutering, etc. will be? If anyone knows how much please tell me!

When To Go To The Vet [ 2 Answers ]

My one and a half year old dachshund has had an upset stomach all morning. Whenever he isn't throwing up a white mucus like substance he is curled in a ball and shivering. It has only been for the morning, but I'm still a little concerned. When is a good time to head to the vet, should the...

Suspicious vet care [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first time posting to this particular forum. I don't know if there are any veterinarians out there, but I have a couple of questions that are really bothering me. In November of 2005, my 12 year old Collie / Shepherd mix suddenly appeared very bloated, and felt hard. I took him...

Vet Can't Diagnose [ 3 Answers ]

We're at a loss. My cat started being reclusive, then he started losing muscle control.. he seems to eat o.k. and use the litter box but he stays in one spot all day and we've spent $700.00 on tests and nothing. There is arthritis in his hips but it doesn't explain his other symptoms. We tried...

View more questions Search