Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    braider27 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Exercise and calories
    How come if I burn more calories than I consume , I still gain weight?
    Do I have to exercise myself to death to drop weight?
    I walk about 30-60 minutes a day... consume around 1051 calories and still gained?
    My pedometer said I burned 1128 calories? What gives?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 08:33 AM
    You are probably gaining muscles. That is good muscle needs more calories and therefore burn up more calories. Also you have to give yourself the proper amount of calories or your body will put your metabolism on reserve and not burn calories because it thinks you are starving. In other word you need to eat more than you burn... go to www. Govpyramid.org and look around this is a great site.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Jun 8, 2007, 08:44 AM
    wαlking is greαt but more cαrdio or more hαrdcore workout like running or biking etc. would be α big push for triming down.

remember it's not αbout losing weight but αbout losing inches, bushg is right you gαin muscle so you cαn't reαlly trust the scαle.. so meαsure your αrms wαist, upper/lower αbs, thighs write it down αnd next week re-meαsure them αnd you'll hαve α better view of your results..

It αlso depends on whαt you αre consuming: wαter is greαt choose it over juice, coffee, sodα.. milk you still need thαt for your cαlcium (osteoporosis is becoming "populαr" now α dαys... ) fruits, vegtαbles αre excellent. Junkfoods will give you high energy for α short period but will not help you get the results you wαnt if you αre consuming them in excess, I'm not sαying αviod junk food (people usuαlly wαnt whαt they cαn't hαve) but eαt it to α bαre minimum.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Bushg is absolutely correct about muscle weight and the fact that it sounds like your metabolism has slowed up. You sound as if you've reached a plateau because you did not adjust the calorie intake in regard to any new reduction in body weight. You body adjust to all new calorie intakes. Don't focus so much on the exact # of calories, but the content and amount of what you eat. The key is to really eat natural foods, wheat breads, pastas, rice and cereals, in smaller portions, eat fruits and veggies and protein, that is fish, skinless chicken, turkey breast with every meal, a serving size of meat is 3 ounces. And drink lots and lots of water! Change your exercise program every few days and target all muscles. Walking is great but you need other work out programs, like aerobic, or any resistance exercisies, vary the program and go for 3-4 times a week, 30-60 minutes. Hope this helps.:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

500 Calories a day [ 21 Answers ]

Is 500 calories a day for about a week OK? Then I'll switch to 1200 calories a day after a week?

Weight loss calories [ 2 Answers ]

If the total calories is 200 And serving container is about 4? How do I find the total calories for 1 serving?

Burning Calories [ 3 Answers ]

Is There Really Much Of A Difference Between Jogging And Using A Stationary Bike At Home. I've Heard 30 Minutes Of Cardio Is Good... but Which One Would Burn Calories More To Lose The Fat?

Calories [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website where you can give them your intake of daily foods and work out your calories.

How many calories for a daschund? [ 1 Answers ]

My daschund is struggling with a slight weight problem, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the correct amount of calories a daschund should eat in a day? He's a regular sized daschund with a normal activity level, and he's 4 and a half years old. Thanks for any help!

View more questions Search