Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 06:30 AM
    The Candidates
    Hello wingnuts:

With Bush's approval ratings at 28%, why are the Republican candidates trying to out Bush each other? They all want to keep Gitmo open. None of them want gays to openly serve in the military, and they love the Iraq war.

The base love's 'em, but that will never get them elected. Why are they doing that stuff? And, don't get me started on our beloved Attorney General.

excon

PS> By the way, why do YOU still love him. He's an absolute failure, and I've said so from the git go. And YOU know who I'm talking to.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Maybe because Bush is trying to do good. For example:
    Bush Administration Plans to Build New Landmines

Ok maybe that's not the best example.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:00 AM
    You are a master of throwing one line bombs that require lengthy rebuttal .

Truman left office with a lower rating . Yeah I know ,his party did not win but history has exonerated him.

BTW ;if you listened to the debate Tuesday ;most of the candidates were taking pot shots at President Bush .(more so than even the Democrats did Sunday) I also think this Immigration bill that just went down in flames gives the Republican candidates who wish to ,to separate themselves further from the President. The President knows his time is up and he is not looking for anyone to ride on his record.

You mentioned the AG .I agree with your thoughts about him generally . He is what we would have had in SCOTUS if the President had his way getting Harriet Meirs confirmed... That however is more wiggle room for the Republicans who wish to distance themselves . BTW . The President will NEVER force Gonzalez to resign . Even if he is a complete buffoon (and I think he is );the President could not risk what would come out of a confirmation hearing with the idiot majority in the Judiciary Committee. Schmuck Shumer and his ilk would insist as part of the process that the new AG appoint an "independent" prosecutor as quid pro quo to scour the insides of the Executive Dept. looking for any spaghetti that sticks to the wall . The Administration would spend it's remaining time defending itself instead of governing .

You have never seen the Republicans walk in lock step the way the Democrat left does . To illustrate this just read Joe Klein's column in this weeks Time Mag . Beware the Bloggers' Bile | TIME

The next day, I was blasted by a number of left-wing bloggers ... This is not the first time this kind of free-range lunacy has been visited upon me. ... But the smart stuff is being drowned out by a fierce, bullying, often witless tone of intolerance that has overtaken the left-wing sector of the blogosphere. Anyone who doesn't move in lockstep with the most extreme voices is savaged and ridiculed—especially people like me who often agree with the liberal position but sometimes disagree and are therefore considered traitorously unreliable.

This is what the Dems. Call Party Unity . Look at how the Clintonistas deal with political opposition . Cindy Sheehad was the toast of the party until she crossed Hillary . They dropped her like a hot potato at Hillary's command. The Democrat candidates have a worse problem with the base then the Republicans . The base can't stand the front runner but are afraid of her; and none of the others have a chance of winning a national election .

Do you really think things like gays in the military are going to be issues of any significance in the next election ?
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Do you really think things like gays in the military are going to be issues of any significance in the next election ?
    Hello again, tom:

I think it's going to take a gay hero to win in Iraq. I think Hillary is Billary. I think we're going to elect Al Gore again.

Want some more bombs? I got more...

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Didn't the gay marriage issue figure VERY prominently in the last election?
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Needkarma

No ;it was an issue immediately after Bill Clinton was elected. They came up with a reasonable under the circumstances compromise ;the Don't ask don't tell policy.

Excon

I think there is a chance Gore will enter after he wins the Nobel Prize for fiction . If he wins it will be his first Presidential election win .

Here's the guy I think will be the next President I'm with Fred!
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Tom,

I think it was an issue that swayed voters:
    The Religion Card Gay Marriage and the 2004 Presidential Election David E. Campbell University of Notre Dame

Terrorism, not values, drove Bush's re-election. - By Paul Freedman - Slate Magazine

" "The question is," he said, "is who are those people? Who is coming out to vote who didn't come out to vote in 2000? A good chunk appears to be four million newly registered fundamentalist Christians."

The numbers suggest they favoured Bush by a 4-1 margin - and they came out in droves to vote for measures in 11 states banning gay marriage."
    CBC News Indepth: US Election 2004

About Fred - is that a serious site? Not a single word about his stance on any issue. LOL
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Need Karma

But excon was taking about Gays in the Military. Not gay marriages

The site for Fred Thompson just went up and it is not official because he has not officially declared yet. It is easy to find out where he stands . He has his own blog called The Thompson Report. ABC Radio Networks .He has also done commentary on the Paul Harvey show . His bio is also easily found on the web.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Hello again:

My libertarian side is showing. Of all the declared candidates on EITHER side, I like Ron Paul. Always have, and always will. I loved him when he was a Libertarian, and I love him as a Republican. Pssst - he's only being a Republican now so he can get heard. He thinks most of 'em suck.

He'll end the drug war, the Iraq war and the war on Terrorisim. That's just for starters. I think it's a pretty good start, myself.

excon
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Jun 8, 2007, 07:58 AM
    I don't know much about government, polotic's or whatever. Not really interested. But I don't like G.W.B. He's the worst thing to happen to USA at this time. He gives speeches like he's on coke and when he talks it makes noo sense. He keeps sending people to a endless war that is completely stupid. He thinks war will actually solve something.. haha. I just wanted to put in my two cent. I think this country has gone to szhit since Bush and other people in government were put there. Get someone else in there and get our people home. Mind our own business and worry about things happening here. But, I hope someone who isn't on drugs and beer and who doesn't clam to be ''chritsian'' takes over soon.

Thanks have a great day.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 8, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Why is being gay or straight an issue in the military?
    They are to defend and fight, not have sex with the enemy, right [ sarcasm intended ]?

It is as offensive to religious straight people to be told that 'gay marriage' is acceptable and a 'right,' as it is for religious straight people to tell gay people that they are unacceptable sinners.

Sex is personal and the government doesn't need to tell us our business thereof.

Grace and Peace
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    With Bush's approval ratings at 28%, why are the Republican candidates trying to out Bush each other? They all want to keep Gitmo open. None of them want gays to openly serve in the military, and they love the Iraq war.
    Actually I read today it was 32% - still right in there with congress (the most underreported polling story of the past 5 years or so). I don't see anyone trying to out-Bush anyone else - they're moving away from him.

Analysis: GOP Hopefuls Shred Bush During Debate

Republicans run from Bush during presidential debate

Road to White House for Republicans goes around Bush

The base love's 'em, but that will never get them elected. Why are they doing that stuff? And, don't get me started on our beloved Attorney General.
    We'll see, I think the American still trust Republicans more to keep them safe - and that will be a primary issue. As for Al, I don't recall any of us ever being to gung-ho about that guy.

PS> By the way, why do YOU still love him. He's an absolute failure, and I've said so from the git go. And YOU know who I'm talking to.
    Who ever said we LOVE the guy? I've supported him in a lot of things but not everything - and the alternatives scare the hell out of me.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jun 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Hey, Excon.

This is just like old times... you misinterpret something you have read and I straighten you out. :D

The question is not whether Bush's poll numbers are bad or not. They suck big time. But the question is why is he so unpopular? I know why liberals dislike him. But why are there so many conservatives who dislike Bush?

The answer is not that conservatives dislike him because he's too conservative. They dislike him because he's not conservative enough.

Conservatives have a problem with Bush because of his immigration policy, which is purely liberal. With regard to Iraq, conservatives don't feel that the war is wrong... they feel that Bush isn't going far enough in fighting it. Conservatives don't dislike Bush's stance on gay marriage, they feel he hasn't pushed the marriage amendment far enough.

If you take a look at the 2006 elections, you will find that the majority of Republicans who lost did so to Dems who were running on a more conservative agenda than they were. The Dems embraced a conservative platform to get elected. And now that they are proving to be liberals rather than conservatives, the result is that the popularity of Congress has fallen even lower than that of Bush.

Another good way to look at this is to look at Joe Lieberman's election last year. Here's a guy who has supported the war from day one and has been the most vocal Dem in favor of the war. Ned Lamont ran against him on a liberal, anti-war agenda, and won big in the Dem primary. But Lieberman won big in the general election, while still pushing his pro-war agenda. Among libs, Lamont's liberal agenda was more popular. But among the general population, Lieberman's more conservative stance on foreign policy was by far the most popular.

Why is Giuliani kicking the butt of Hillary, Obama and every other candidate in every poll. Why are Fred Thomson's poll numbers showing the fastest rise of any candidate since announcing last week? Why does even McCain, who most conservatives dislike, beat out Hillary and Obama in almost every poll? The answer is that the country wants a President who will continue the war in Iraq to its conclusion rather than pulling out and declaring defeat. They want a president who will be strong on crime, not a coddler of criminals, including the crime of illegal immigration. They want a President with generally conservative values in this day and age. And the more conservative that a candidate can show himself to be, at least in foreign policy, the better his chance of getting elected. And for most Americans, during a time of war, foreign policy trumps all domestic issues, which means that they are willing to forgive Rudy his liberal stances on abortion, gay marriage, etc. in favor of his strong conservative position on the war.

So the fact that Bush's numbers are so poor is not an indicator that the country is leaning left, its an indicator that Bush isn't leaning far enough to the right.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 01:10 PM
    So the fact that Bush's numbers are so poor is not an indicator that the country is leaning left, its an indicator that Bush isn't leaning far enough to the right.
    I'm sure that will be a comfort to Ex :D
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again:

My libertarian side is showing. Of all the declared candidates on EITHER side, I like Ron Paul. Always have, and always will. I loved him when he was a Libertarian, and I love him as a Republican. Pssst - he's only being a Republican now so he can get heard. He thinks most of 'em suck.

He'll end the drug war, the Iraq war and the war on Terrorisim. That's just for starters. I think it's a pretty good start, myself.

excon
    Why not RuPaul? Then you got your Gay vote, female vote, male vote and a few that haven't been identified yet..
    Gallery: Ru
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 10:58 PM
    No excon, I just understand that we really have no say in any of it any longer. Our country has been hijacked and the hijackers will place into office whom they see fit.
    We the people no longer exists.
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 03:46 AM
    We the people just last week stopped the Senate from passing an immigration bill they tried to slip by us. When the populace is sufficiently motivated the politicians hear what we have to say.

I find this to be true at the local level and I'm pretty sure it works the same way nationally. Our mayor tried to pull a fast one and rezone an unsuitable area for town house projects that would've more than doubled the village population . Well ,we mobilized and tried to work with his village board to reverse the worst aspects of his plan . When he and the board turned a deaf ear to us we had no alternative but to field our own slate of candidates. Through 2 election cycles we replaced the board and the mayor with people who's vision of the village future were more in line with the population .

I have attended village board meetings every month since then ,and attendance at these meetings have progressively decreased . When I asked the mayor why the complacency he said that the administration must be doing a good job.

Well my biggest concern is that the Board will become likewise complacent so recently I have been contacting some of the people who were involved in mobilizing the village and letting them know that unless we remain active we risk a return to a government that has the developers interests ahead of the people .

What I'm saying is that don't blame the man or the system . They represent us and it really is up to us to be engaged. Letters and phone calls to the Senate offices in the last month is what reversed the decision to ram that immigration bill down our throats . They caught hell when they came home for the Memorial Day Holiday . They thought they would relax and attend a few barbecues and instead they were barraged by an engaged populace who let them know in no uncertain terms how they felt about the bill . That is the way our form of govt. should /could /and to a large extent does work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2007, 04:41 AM
    In many ways part of the biggest trouble is those that "hate" bush and dislike many of the things, in the poll reports, just don't get out and vote,

Remember only what about 1/2 of the people in the US even vote, so 1/2 of the opinons in polls don't even matter since they don't vote.

And the democrats may well lose the election for thierself, since if they get a canidate to liberal, they will not hold the southern base. Or will not get enough of them to the polls to hold the states vote count.

And yes many like myself and other very strong republicans are mad at Bush over his break of his promises, to be much more conservative and starnd more for the Christian values and to stop immigration, he has lost a lot of support by not going after illegal immigration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do Union members vote for candidates that opposed the Border Fence? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm curious. It seems as if the same politicians that want amnesty for illegals seem to be endorsed by the unions. It doesn't make sense. Those same illegals would soon take their jobs. Politicians seem to have taken the unions for granted. So my question is : Why do Union members vote for...

View more questions Search