Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bctk68 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Choosing a portable external hard drive
    I'm having difficulties choosing a portable hard drive with so many options available in the market these days. Should I stick to the branded pushbutton ones like Maxtor, Seagate, etc or one of those build-it-yourself ones? Are there any distinct advantage between the two? What special features/precautions should I be looking out for?
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jun 8, 2007, 05:52 AM
    The first question you should ask is what do you want to use it for? Is this a backup device, is it going to sit there and store photos and other files, are you going to travel with it...

Jun 8, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Basically, I'm hoping to travel with a portable external hard drive rather than a notebook. With it, not only will I have a backup of my data, I'll have softwares & windows environment familiar to me when I plug it into any computers available. BTW, can I download data from memory cards if I plug a card reader into the drive, assuming it's powered?

Jun 8, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that for all too many reasons.

For starters, this probably violates the license agreement from M$.

Many notebooks will not let you boot from a removable hard drive. Especially older ones.

When you install Windows the drivers that get loaded are based on the hardware in the computer you're installing it from. Assuming you could take that removable drive and plug it in to another computer and boot from it, you are going to have a lot of trouble because the computer you're booting on has different hardware than the one you installed it from. This can be true even if the brand and model are the same... often times components like motherboards and chipsets vary slightly and may require different drivers.

If you install software to it and move the drive to a different computer, that software is probably not going to work correctly because anything that's stored in the registry is on the computer you initially installed it from. I'm thinking that this would also violate the license agreement for most software.

If you plugin a memory card or a pen drive then you can certainly copy the data from the card to the removable drive.

Jun 8, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Would you mind checking out the "Seagate FreeAgent Go" Would this product fulfill my requirements?

Jun 9, 2007, 06:11 AM
    A real slick concept but you have to make sure that the software that you're going to run is on their list of supported software. If your software is on there then this looks like it should be pretty decent and some of the reviews I read were pretty favorable. To be honest though I was not impressed with their list of "approved" software. Creedo Software List

You can add Install Anything for $20 and that's supposed to allow you to "install anything" but I didn't see any reviews for it.
    Argo software is another add on.

Keep in mind that it's the Creedo software that's providing this functionality and you can purchase that separately. Creedo will also work with a USB flash drive which makes it all the more portable. - Just don't lose the flash drive ;)

I'd recommend downloading a copy of Creedo Personal and see if it passes muster. If you do, let me know what you think of it.

Jun 10, 2007, 03:26 AM
    Thanks for the useful comment. However, browsing at the list of ceedo program directory already turned me off. I checked out the Argo "add any programs" but like you commented, no reviews or consumers feedback... may not be what it hyped up to be...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

Portable hard drive passwords [ 3 Answers ]

How do I password protect a file I am putting onto a portable hard drive say for example I want to save old emails or work that I am not using but want to protect so only I can access it? Any help would be Awesome! Thanks

USB Portable Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have an existing hard drive that was formatted to be a slave (without OS) and has data already on it. I removed the hard drive from the machine and plugged it into a USB Portable Hard Drive. My computer will not recognize that the external hard drive is present. I do not want to erase the data...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

View more questions Search