Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2005, 03:37 AM
    40 year old walnut tree
    This question is on behalf of my father.
    He planted a Walnut tree about 40 years ago and to this day it still produces healthy walnuts.

I don't know why, but he wants to cut it down and wants to know, is there a right way or a wrong way to cut the tree ?
    The tree trunk is just over 4 feet high and about 18 inches in diameter, maybe more.
    It has thick overgrowing branches.
    He thinks furniture makers buy correctly cut Walnut Trees to make Walnut furniture.
    If this is so, do Walnut Trees have a "value" ?

Thanks in advance,
    Much appreciated
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 31, 2005, 07:36 AM
    I doubt such a tree has much value as lumber. It would need to have a much higher trunk, and 18'' may be too small. Insist he finds a buyer before cutting it. Otherwise I am afraid it will end up as firewood. Maybe your county extension agent can tell you more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Walnut trees [ 3 Answers ]

We have eight walnut trees in our yard and is there a way that we are able to control the propagation of nuts on the trees and is the wood from the trees worth any thing?

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

Transplanting tree [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a one year old home. The old owners planted a jap. Maple too close to the house. How deep would the root system be? And when is the best time of the year to transplant it?

View more questions Search