Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desperato Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 03:38 AM
    Password protecting folders
    Is there a way in windows xp to password protect a folder of information? I know I can protect certain files depending on the program that created them. Looking to protect a group of files from different programs.

Thanks
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jun 8, 2007, 07:31 AM
    You can encrypt a file or a folder in Windows:
    Right click on the file/folder
    Select properties
    Click the Advanced button.
    Check "Encrypt contents to secure data"
    Click OK.

If the people that use the computer all use the same login then this method is useless because it goes by who you are logged in as. If you walk away from the computer w/o locking it then it's useless as well. If someone else were to login as a different user, they would not be able to see or open those files. If they have administrator access they might be able to delete them but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Here is a good free utility that will encrypt files for you.
    Axantum Software AB | AxCrypt | File Encryption Software
    To encrypt a folder/file:
    Right click on the folder/file.
    Select AxCrypt then select Encrypt.
    Enter your pass phrase twice.
    Click OK.

Anytime someone double clicks on the file to open it they will be prompted to enter the pass phrase.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Camouflage Home Page - Hide your files!

That is another software you can use.
    xhacker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Try my site's Data protection category

Open-Source

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protecting an invention? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone advise me please? I have an over-active, caffeine-driven mind! LOL, and frequently come-up with ideas. Often these come to nothing, but some of my ideas might be worth pursuing. However: I cannot afford the cost of patenting, and I am concerned about divuldging my ideas to...

Protecting oneself [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend is separated now from his ex of 21 years and has his name on a deed for the house. She want to be put on the deed but has debts. Should he consult a lawyer about this and have the proper papers drawn up. Any lawyer suggestions?

Password protecting a folder [ 1 Answers ]

How can you password protect a folder on your desktop?

Am I protecting myself... [ 16 Answers ]

So OK - a while back I posted a thread telling you about how I cried tears of happiness for the first time and how I was falling in love with Pete. I had began opening up to Pete and opening my heart up - but now I feel really vulnerable and feel uncomfortable exposing myself - but I don't...

Folders [ 3 Answers ]

When using windows explorer to browse my music folders, some folders do not have the album art. Where are these pictures stored?

View more questions Search