Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixafone123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2005, 06:07 PM
    Poor Water Pressure throughout House - Regulator Valve may need adjusting?
    We are experiencing poor water pressure. We have lived in the house for about 2 years and have never had great water pressure. I noticed what seems to be a regulator valve of sorts on the main line coming into the house (see picture) and was wondering if I can adjust this valve to increase the pressure or do I need to take more drastic measures?

I have checked at each faucet for any signs of build-up or 'gunk' in the lines and everything looks fine. The pressure is bad throughout the house so that leads me to believe that things are OK with the plumbing. Here are my house specs:

House built in 1989
    Copper plumbing
    City Water
    I don't know the PSI in the house or coming from the City's lines.

Thanks,
    Kyle K

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 30, 2005, 07:38 PM
    Go for it. Just take a wrench and run the bolt head in, clockwise. Count the flats or complete turns you turn it. If that give you a quick burst of water dying to a trickle, it is not pressure, but a restriction to flow.
    fixafone123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2005, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Go for it. Just take a wrench and run the bolt head in, clockwise.
    Wouldn't turning the bolt clockwise tighten it therefore letting less water through? Forgive my ignorance, I don't know a whole lot about plumbing...

Thanks,
    Kyle
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 31, 2005, 07:29 AM
    Tightening the bolt increases the force on the spring which the water has to balance before being shut off. Yeah, it sounds backwards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Airlock problem on water Intake valve into House [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 4 1/2 years old. I am on city water and all of a sudden about just over 1 month ago I started having a banging problem on the major water intake Valve into the house when I flush the toilets, washer starts filling up with water, turning on the Taps in the basement. This...

Poor water pressure in new shower [ 3 Answers ]

We recently underwent a renovation of existing second floor bathroom. The shower has a main head and a second hand held. The pressure is so low that the handheld doesn't work. The main head is also very low. We have a sink and jacuzzi in the same MBR and a second bathroom very close by that all...

Pipe diameter = poor water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has low pressure, especially in the shower. It's a loft building in NYC and my unit was renovated in 1985. Others in the building claim to have no issues with pressure. I'm re-doing one bath and the walls have been removed. While the pipes running to the shower area are large, the...

Adjusting Pressure Regulator [ 7 Answers ]

We've had pressure and flow problems for a while. Turn on a faucet it initially has good pressure but slowly tapers off, takes forever to fiill the tub or washer, etc. After contacting the City they came out and said we had 120 psi coming in at the main. They said we probably just needed to...

Whole house water pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. Came home, no water. Replaced well pump ourselves. Voilą, we have water. The pressure was pretty low though. The water pressure has gotten increasingly lower as time goes on. It just took me an hour to fill my small bath tub up halfway. It literally trickles. There is...

View more questions Search