Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rangelilli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2005, 03:28 PM
    Dyi rusted toilet flange?
    I have a toilet flange on a 4" cast iron pipe (c. 1955) that has rusted away to the extent that the flange lip has broken away, so the toilet bolts have nothing to hold on to.

The flange is cast iron, the pipe appears to be cast iron. I can get to the pipe from under the floor but not the top (flange flush to the thinset, tile floor).

Is there a product that would allow me to slip a either a 4" or 3" sleeve in the existing pipe to create a new flange (with a minimum of rise over the floor)? Am I going to have to cut the pipe below the floor and install a new iron or pvc pipe to create a new flange?

Or do I just call a plumber?

Help! Just another grain in the money pit.

Thanks
    fixafone123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2005, 06:11 PM
    I had same problem
    I ran into the same problem but my flange is PVC. The bolts broke off though when I was removing the toilet. At Lowe's they had a "Flange Repair Kit" which consisted of a 1/4 of a metal ring with a hole in it and a bolt you could slide in the hole. The flange slipped under the broken part of my PVC flange and allowed me to secure my toilet down. Also, I noticed when I was at Lowe's that they did have a PVC insert for iron flanges, that may serve your needs better.

Good Luck
    Kyle K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flange [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to replace my toilet in a house that I bought. When I removed the old toilet I found that the cast iron flange was rusted away with no way of actually securing the toilet to the flange. I removed the old flange by cutting and breaking it off (no damage to the drain pipe). I have...

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realized as I was installing the subfloor in my new bathroom that I had cut off the pvc to short. It is slightly lower that the subfloor. Is there a longer flange which will solve this problem or should I remove the floor add a coupling and more pvc to raise the height? Thanks, m2

Toilet flange HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I need some good professional advise. My toilet was leaking and I removed it to find that the toilet flange was broken on one side. The flange and lower pipe appear to be cast iron 4 inch. I must replace some of the damaged flooring but am at a loss as to how to remove the cast iron flange from...

Toilet flange too low [ 1 Answers ]

I discovered a leak in the base of the upstairs toilet that had soaked the subfloor and cause the tile to come loose. I removed the tile and discovered that it had been set on a plywood backer. I removed the plywood and cut out the rotting wood around the toilet. This exposed the ABS plumbing...

Toilet flange [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of re-settin my toilet, It is located in the basement and the toilet flange sits on top of the ceramic tile. It is not flush with the tile. I have reset the toilet three times using various thickness of wax. These only last so long. I have purchased a wax free bowl gasket...

View more questions Search