Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shinita Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Giving up Parental Rights
    I have a 2 year old daughter, I have not seen her in a year her mom always causes problems and arguments. I pay 400.00 per month. I can barely live on my own and I have another child that I have to care for. Now I have received a letter where the 2 year old's mom wants even more money. I have offered to insure my daughter but she refused. She is receiving food stamps and medicaid which is contantly adding to my chid support cause its putting me in default with the state cause I have to pay them back for whatever help she gets. Also she is on Section 8 and she receives childcare through a company called Family Central. But she told child support she pays 80.00 per week for childcare. How do I give up my parental rights. I will still pay for my child but as long as she keeps receiving help from the state I can't get ahead.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Ok, why do you want to give up your parental rights, since it has nothing to do with child support or paying required monies, ( have you been to court ( I will assume so) and they set the max amount you pay, normally paying back welfare is only up to some max amount of your pay set my the state including the child support. ( unless you are far behind on your support payments)

But giving up rights, only means you can't visit, you can't see the child, but will still be paying every penny you are not.
    You need to get an attorney and make sure your support and payments for welfare is proper, it sounds like something is not right, is your child support paid though the court?

Jun 8, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Yes it is through family court,I send the money it's not garnished out of my check.The child's mother changed jobs where she is making a great deal more money, but, she didn't report it.How do I prove that, the company is a family owned company that's owned by her family so they don't give honest paperwork.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 8, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Have you considered getting custody yourself? If you are not in need of government assistance you may be considered a better full time parent than your ex.

Jun 8, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Would I be allowed to do that being as I have'nt seen my daughter in a while.The judge is going to take that into consideration and may think that I am not such a good dad.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 8, 2007, 08:10 AM
    You can certainly try. You could explain that every time you visited it turned ugly, and you didn't want to traumatize your daughter or whatever the truth is. Can't hurt to give it a shot, most judges want to decide in the child's best interests.
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Jun 8, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Don't give up rights for the wrong reasons and Don't get custody for the wrong reasons either! Really think this all through before making a decision.

I don't think that you should be responsible for her need of government help? Your responsibility is to your child... Not her! You should really question how you should be held responsible for her need of government help! It is not your fault she can't provide for her end of the child!!

Good Luck and God Loves You!
    blonde_witch_74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinita
    I have a 2 year old daughter, I have not seen her in a year her mom always causes problems and arguments. I pay 400.00 per month. I can barely live on my own and I have another child that I have to care for. Now I have recieved a letter where the 2 year old's mom wants even more money. I have offered to insure my daughter but she refused. She is recieving food stamps and medicaid which is contantly adding to my chid support cause its putting me in default with the state cause I have to pay them back for whatever help she gets. Also she is on Section 8 and she recieves childcare through a company called Family Central. But she told child support she pays 80.00 per week for childcare. How do I give up my parental rights. I will still pay for my child but as long as she keeps recieving help from the state I can't get ahead.
    Giving up your child is not the answer... You need to fight her for your child. My hubby and I went through the same thing with his daughter. We just went to court to get joint custody (in our state) allows you to have her and the welfare would stop!! The mother would actually have to go get a job and support herself instead of you supporting her even though you are not with her. Anyway, the mother never showed up for the appointments with the guardina adlietem and we received custody of her. If you email me I can give you more details on how this will benefit you and your child... Keep your head up and think of your daughter's future and how she will be affected by you "giving her up"...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up parental rights [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I started writing a big long story of my situation and deleted it because no one wants to hear my babble. Here is my question. What would be the reprocussions of giving up your parental rights of your 17 year old? My ex is taking me back to court for child support and although I...

Giving up parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I have a friend who want to give up his parental rights, but he's not understanding if the child will have to go to another family even though the child's mother still has her rights? Or do someone have to step in the place example one of her family or friends... and also would the father still...

Giving up parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has a child with a woman prior to us getting married. He was not made aware of the child until the child was almost a year old. He has a court order to pay child support for this child. He has only seen the child the one time we went to get the paternity test. We do not know where...

Giving up parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know if I give up my parental rights, how do I get rid of the child support as well? I have never seen the child and was never contacted about the child until I was notified by child support enforcement. The child and her mother live in another state and I do not anticipate on ever...

Giving up parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

My wife lives in Wisconsin and has not let me make any kind of contact to a child she says is mine (the child has my last name due to the marrage), for about two years now I am paying child support but she keeps trying to increase it and I live in another state for reasons due to the wife. I make...

View more questions Search