Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Testing new lines with sealed stub-outs
    Dumb question(s) time. I have just run new hot and cold water lines for a new vanity. I have stubbed them out for the eventual installation lf 1/2" compression 1/4 turm shut-off valves. My question is how can I test that branch for leaks when the water won't get there until I cut the sealed ends off and install the valves? The whole purpose is for rough-in and ease of drywall installation correct? Can I cut the ends, install the valves, open the lines and test, remove the valnes and re-seal the stubs until the final install? How many times can you re-use the compression fittings in the valves? Are they single use, do they degrade with repeated re-use? Or can you take them on and off as much as you like?

Thanks. Happy Memorial Day and my thanks to all the vets and service folks today.
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

May 30, 2005, 10:01 PM
    Sounds to me like you're already doing it.
    If the water is on to those lines, then you are already testing them. Is it? When you say stub out do you mean you stubbed out with a bullet or just open pieces of pipe? As to whether you can use the compression stops over again it really depends on the pipe you used. If it is thin wall or m, I wouldn't do it, if it is L then I probably would but I've done it a hundred times before and I have a good feel for it. When I test with it I just go about 1 full turn with the wrenches after I have it hand tight. After the test I usually go a little tighter. You don't want to crush the pipe and you don't want to have it too loose. At 5 bucks a pop you might want to just go with a new pair. To tell you the truth I like the threaded adapters better. You have your flexibility to use threaded caps to do your testing. But I understand if you are weary of soldering so close to the new wall. Hope that helps.
    Darrel
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2005, 09:53 AM
    Water is on
    Yes, the water is on and no leaks. I was just unsure if the water would displace the air in a capped off line. The only reason I even ask this is that when making the water hammer extensions I was under the impression that he air that remains in that extension does the job. Therefore the water does not displace that air. Stubbed for me means a cap soldered to the end of the pipe that will eventually receive the vanity shut-offs. Additionally, I had always used threaded connections in the past but have chosen compresion for their ease of shutoff orientation which is unsure for me with threaded connections when fully tightened. The prior threads have given the compression connections the 2 thumbs up so that nuged me to them. Also, I am using the thicker walled copper pipe and always do. Looks like I am in pretty good shape here so far. Thanks for the useful reply.

Herb.
    markevansgroup Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 02:27 AM

If a line leaks, and has a bunch of air in it, the incoming water will push out the air, and you will then have water showing, rather than air you won't see, unless you live in so. cal. if the line is pressurized with water for a few days and does not leak, it is not likely to leak later.
    Good luck
    Mark.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 03:44 AM
    Hi Markevansgroup...

I just looked at your profile and it looks like you ran around on your first day here mostly answering questions from 2005, 2006, and 2007... ;)

You can check the dates of threads at the upper left of each post. If not during the year 2009... I would not bother to post an reply!

Just F.Y.I...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with try-outs [ 3 Answers ]

Hey my try-outs for my high school cheerleading suad is march on the sixteenth and I can't do a cartwheel that well or a roundoff and my toe touches aren't that well either do think I will make it and do you have anything you can say about it?

Dna Testing [ 10 Answers ]

Can you have someone take a DNA test while in Jail? Can you have someone sign a birth certificate while in Jail?

Brick paver on top of sealed, decorative concrete [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to start laying a brick paver walkway, part of which will be going on top of an existing, decorative, sealed concrete patio. Can I mortar the outer most bricks directly to the concrete and then fill in the remaining pavers or is there a better way? Will the morter hold?

How to burn best quality DVD outs from NERO VISION 4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have uncompressed avi in 720/405 resolution. And I would like to burn a DVD as a NTSC formate. I used best setting in Nero. But the output is looking so bad. Can any one help me how to get a Best result from NERO...

RPC stub [ 1 Answers ]

I did a recovery in my PC and now when I try ro install some programs this error apears:error #0x80070725 incompatible version of the RPC stub. what is going on ?

View more questions Search