Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ricki2217 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Jun 7, 2007, 09:34 AM
    One baby rabbit
    My rabbit had a litter of 3 kits 2 died. My question is do we need to bring the baby inside? It isn't very warm outside, and I have read that there needs to be 3 or more kits for them to stay warm. Any advice would be great!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Yes, common sense would prevail. I hope you bring it inside with the mom.

Jun 7, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Yes, common sense would prevail. I hope you bring it inside with the mom.
    Wow OK thanks for that. They are inside just not in the house, more like a small barn. And the mom does not like being in the house I tried bringing her inside. It made her very nervous, she wouldn't lay down or sleep so thanks once again.
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Is the small one big enough to do without the mom though. You know they are quite able to keep warm themselves and not knowing where you live, I really ant tell. I live in Ontario and the nights are cool but not deadly for baby animals.

Jun 7, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Um no she just had them, I didn't even know she was going to have kits. We have never bred them, I just got her a few weeks ago. The people that had her have over 150 rabbits in the garage so I guess I kind of saved her. I tried to bring her inside and she was just so scared. She is much calmer outside, I think she is kind of still afraid of people. I live in seattle, so its not freezing but not very warm either.
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Good luck ricki. Unfortunately they breed so often, you may be overwhelmed if you let that happen.
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Wow really I can't see where I was rude in the above post. Go figure. Sorry you felt that way.
    Chicklet Posts: 35, Reputation: 10

Jun 7, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Rabbits will more often then not Eat their babies if they become nervous,
    I sometimes think the female rabbit believes she is protecting the young by eating it.

Moving them in most cases is a sure death sentence to the young,
    The best thing to do is leave it be, make sure its well covered for warmth,
    But try not to upset the mum,
    If your Rabbit is well use to you and trusts you, then you'd have better luck.

Of the hundreds of rabbits I raised I only ever had one that would let me mess with her babies and not kill them... some would allow me a quick peek, others just killed them within minutes of my touching.
    Just touching the babies and the mumma smelling it can sometimes be enough for them to kill and eat them, (if you must touch try not to let the mum see you & then cross your fingers,) A few times they will just abandon the young,
    But the main trait is eating the young.

You might get lucky moving her and the baby, But the greater odds are against it,

Also, I don't know where you live, but, I live in Nova Scotia Canada and it's not to cold for newborn baby rabbits to remain outside, (so long as they are covered and out of the direct elements,) A nest box with lots of mumma's neck hair, to make a soft warm bed. The mumma rabbit does this naturally.
    Give the mumma lots of hay or pulled grass, She'll sometimes add this to the thickness of her nest bed, which in turn helps keep the baby protected better

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbit OK outside? [ 24 Answers ]

Our family got a Lop Ear Rabbit. She is 11 weeks old. She's not tiny by any means. I am allergic to her. I was planning to keep her in a cage inside, but now I can not do that. Is it OK to put her outside in a cage? Protected from the rain. The cage does have a roof. I'm just worried about the heat...

Rabbit had baby... Guinea pig problems [ 5 Answers ]

I know u might say your not supposed to keep guinea pigs with rabbits but we do and they get along. My rabbit had babies and we didn't know for a little and once we noticed 2 were dead 2 were badly injured(now dead) and one had a few scratches and a missing ear. OK now there's 2 questions's....

New rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new mini lop the pet store said he is about 7 weeks old. I have been trying to litter train him. He is doing really well but when he gets onto the couch with me or my boyfriend he always pees and poops on the couch. Is this becoming a habit and if so how do we break him of this so he...

My rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

Heya again , My rabbit isn't to calm she likes to jump about and nibble but if I waned to make her calmer how do I do that and how do I stop her from niping

My rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

;) hello, My rabbit is called dillie dolli and she won't let me put my hand in her cage. She lunges for my hand and it's the same when I am feeding her . What shall I do ? Also can I cliker train her to do stuff. :rolleyes: Thank you Tiny Rue:cool:

View more questions Search