Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 7, 2007, 08:24 AM
    IT "assistant"
    What exactly would an IT assistant do? I found a pretty good job that pays good, but it is farely far away. I am a certified computer tech (building / repairing) so I have that part of the job down; but it list networking and programming on there too. I am "decent" on networking and not so experienced in programming. My question is what exactly would I be doing probably as an assistant and not the actual IT because of my lack of knowledge in the latter 2 areas.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 08:33 AM
    I am an I.T. Assistant in an Internship in my third year of uni. My current role is supporting and doing a variety of things where needed in a company of about 100. They build commercial boilers, there are also about 24 people with laptops who connect in over citrix, I support them as well as the people here.

Sometimes I awnser phones for the company, sometimes I am upgrading pc's or doing a format and xp rebuild. In all honesty though I don't do anything most days as nothing has gone wrong. In your situation I would imagine you will be expected to fulfill a variety of roles within the buissness such as upgrades, troubleshooting, ad hoc systems - you mentioned programming, maybe maintaining databases etc.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 7, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Thank you, this gives me more of a picture of what I would do. I am still kind of iffy on the job though do to the amount of time it would take me to drive there every day.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 08:53 AM
    How far is it? Is it good money and will it give you a good base to launch your career from? Are they any advancement opportunities and will it be good experience etc? These are all questions you can ask yourself.
    ahsdrumguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 08:43 AM
    I work as a summer IT assistant at a large medical corporation. Lately I have been doing software research and training. I have also evolved into the "main" hardware guy. Software installs and updating is also in my job description. Right now, I don't have much to do just because our admin is so good. Some days, I even scan in records in our administration building. It looks like you job sounds like mine, so they probably wouldn't ask you to do anything too advanced. You might want to look into it. I love my job and the people I work with. It's a great job for a 16 year old to have! LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Heater blows cold when "On", not at all on "Auto" [ 1 Answers ]

Our gas heater is 7 years old, and has worked fine in the two years we've rented here. This winter though, we can't get it to work consistently. When on "Auto", it doesn't turn on at all, no matter what temperature we select, and when we turn the fan to "On", it simply blows cold air. It...

View more questions Search