Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techwreck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2005, 01:01 PM
    DVD Movie causes system hang
    Shortly after a DVD movie starts, I get a complete system hang that only a hard boot resolves. You’ll be just setting in to watch the movie when you see the “No Signal” message on your video screen. The reset button gets you back again, and if you try watching the movie again, you guessed it, off to that magic reset button again. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

System Info:

AMD Athlon 64 3000 939
    Spire Silent Cooling
    GigaByte GA-K8NF9 S-939
    2x512MB Kingston
    XFX GF 6600 256 PCI
    AverMedia Aver TV Studio TV+FM
    200GB Maxtor ATA133
    LG DVD 16X 48X (master on secondary)
    LG DVD Writer GSA-4163 (slave on secondary)
    400 Watt Power Supply

Newly formatted with the following install:

Windows XP SP1
    All Mobo and Video Drivers
    AverMedia Default Install
    Windows Media Player v9
    DirectX v9 w/no problems found
    Norton AntiVirus 2004 w/updated Defs
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2005, 04:47 AM
    Freezes
    Hi,
    Normally, this indicates that the Video card needs a downloadable upgrade from the manufacturer's website.
    Go to the site, then look at the downloads. See if there is an update. Sometimes, each update will list why it is needed.
    You might also check your Display by going to Control Panel/Display. Look at your settings for your Display, and look at the Adapter you are using. It might need updating as well.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2005, 05:06 AM
    Check the good old Event Viewer for any errors. Right-clicl on My Computer icon, select Manage, expand Event Viewer, and look at any errors in Applications and System. If the errors seems to match the time you played the movie then it may help your troubleshooting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hang out or Date? [ 23 Answers ]

Ok so here is my dilemma, I really like this girl that I've only hung out with a few times. We hang out as friends and have fun conversations. Every time I see her I smile and I have such feelings for her. She seams to want to keep it on a friend basis but I Want to Date her as a Girlfriend. She...

System hang... [ 6 Answers ]

I buy a amd athlon 3200+ with msi k8n neo nforcr 3 lsr.. I put 1 gig of ram and nvidia fx5200.. My problem is sometimes when I'm using my PC suddenly it hang up.. It's not happening frequently, I think thrice a month only but I want to know what is the problem.. Hope you will help with...

System hang during startup [ 6 Answers ]

anyone please help me. I'm having a startup problem. My system hung during initial startup. I had to reset for 6x for it to boot properly. It froozes after BIOS, before windows start, after I log into my username and before the startup programs. What could be the problem? Everything is OK once...

How to hang a bedroom mirror [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved and need someone to help hang a bedroom mirror. Can anyone suggest how this can be done? Gatnus Rockaway, NJ

Games Hang with Windows XP [ 1 Answers ]

I'm at the end of my rope here!  ?? I've got a MSI-6585 mainboard with the SiS648 chipset and a 2.4-P4.  I have a 60gb drive thats's maybe a third full and 512 ram.  I use a Radeon 9700 Pro and just about everything that uses graphics is locking up my system.  This has been constant for a...

View more questions Search