Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Curlyben,

I'm hearing stories about banks putting claims on hold because of cases that are already going on. Saying they are waiting for the out come of a 'test case'. Got any information on this?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 2, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Bluerose, yes there is a test case going on involving the OFT and 8 Banks, so the is a stay of action while this is decided.
    This doesn't stop you starting the process, it just means that court action will be put on hold.
    This test case does NOT affect credit card claims though.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Okay. Thanks. I'll pass that information on.
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2008, 03:27 AM
    Just a quicky here.
    The OFT's test case is well and truly underway.

It's just a case of sitting back and waiting for the judgement.
    OFT Test case - Google News

Then the real fun begins as this case is simply the opener to see if the OFT can enforce the UTCCR against the banks for their "services".
    What ever the outcome of this first case I believe that it WILL be appealed and possibly end up in The House of Lords, the HIGHEST court in the land.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 23, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Even more quicky... the OFT test case (high court case) result is out tomorrow, so good luck Ben;)
    BossMan

Jun 30, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Well it been a hectic 12 months in the world of Bank claims, but they have finally had their last domestic appeal to the UK's highest court, The House of Lords.
    Judgement most likely delivered after the summer recess, so some time in October..

This is merely the first part of a potentially two part case, but if the banks have any sense, especially with the current financial crisis and the huge amount of bail outs, they will throw in the towel and refund people wrongly charged..

Either that or they will waste even more tax payers time and money with yet another round of test cases centred around the actual unfairness aspect..

As a rough guesstemate the total value of refunds due, within the "normal" 6 year limitations window, is approx £20 Billion.

Yes seems like a lot of money and a few years ago was an unheard amount, but today it's a different matter.
    in context the Global financial crises has cost upwards of £10 TRILLION ($15 TRILLION) so far.
    This includes all of the bail outs, failures and grantees offered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Blackheads - should I ignore? [ 13 Answers ]

Iam a high schooler and am plagued by blackheads. My skin doesn' thave just a few solitary blackheads easily removed by a blackhead remover, but hundreds of blackheads on my cheeks and nose. So, a blackhead extractor is not useful for me. Even if I tried, they are already too deep in my skin. I...

Why does he ignore me? [ 16 Answers ]

I'm family friends with this guy and he's always really quiet around me and he always looks so bored, unfriendly and mean. I make conversation sometimes when I get up the courage but he never seems to respond and I just don't know why!! I don't see what his problem is with me! I'm nice to him...

Should I ignore it? [ 8 Answers ]

I am 18 years old and previously worked for zellers from June 2006- early December 2006. During that time I made a number of stupid choices and stole small items which I believed to have totaled less then 50 dollars. My friend also stole a memory card which was around 50 dollars and he is related...

To ignore or not to ignore [ 4 Answers ]

I really want by b\f back. He needs space. But possibly sees us together in the future, do I give it to him and risk losing him? He also wants to be with another guy who he is not sure about either. We have been apart a few months now and I am feeling desperate and I do not think this is a good...

View more questions Search