Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanyaredger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Eviction for not Purchasing a home
    I signed a 2 year lease contract with an option to buy. It has now been 1 year and the landlord wants me to purchase the property. I said no. Now I have been served with an eviction letter because of a breech of contract ( I paid the rent 3 days late 1 time). I need to know if I should get a notarized copy of the eviction, because I am afraid the landlord will charge me for future rent after I vacate the premises because of the contract I signed. What do you think I should do? I don't want to press charges, I just want to be done with the whole situation.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
    The option means that he is required to sell if you exercise the option, but you are under no obligations to purchase. I don't understand where he gets the breech of contract.

Is the eviction letter from the landlord or from the court? If your 2 year lease isn't up, then you have the right to remain throughout the lease.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 01:01 PM
    You have a lease (with option to buy), for a two year period. Right now the landlord is in breach of contract not you.

Option to buy is just that an option, does not mean you have to.

Now the term of the contract (lease is 2 years) the landlord is violating the term of that contract, not you, so let him sue, that way it doesn't cost you to file a counter-claim against him.
    tanyaredger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    The option means that he is required to sell if you exercise the option, but you are under no obligations to purchase. I don't understand where he gets the breech of contract.

Is the eviction letter from the landlord or from the court? If your 2 year lease isn't up, then you have the right to remain throughout the lease.
    The eviction letter is from the landlord. I don't mind ending the lease early, I just don't want to be penalized for it.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 01:26 PM
    The letter from him isn't binding. Is your 2 year lease in writing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Purchasing home in receivership. My rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I am currently attempting to purchase a home in receivership. Although I am ready to agree to the counter offer that was made and "sign on the dotted line", unfortuneatly, I am told that our offer will not be presented to the judge until a certain date (april 4) along with another buyers offer....

Renters rights to terminate lease after purchasing home [ 1 Answers ]

We had a 1 year lease for a town house. We told the landlord that we were purchasing or building a home within the year and possibly would be finished before our lease was up. He said "not a prolblem - just give me a written notice and let me know when you are close to being finished with your...

Purchasing a home [ 2 Answers ]

How do I purchase a very expensive home by paying the back taxes ONLY?

Breaking a Lease due to a murder in building and purchasing new home [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this site. I live in the state of NC. We were debating on moving out of our apartment and making an offer on our house. On Sunday we had a murder in our apartment in broad daylight about 300 yds from our apt. There was a suicide about 2 months ago. After the murder we...

Renter in a Lease - Wanting to Purchasing A Home [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me please, I am currently in a lease for the past 19-months and have 5-more left to go on a 2-year Rental Lease. With the housing market prices falling, I decided that I want to purchase a house. Is there anywhere in Maryland Law that indicates that if a Renter wants to purchase a...

View more questions Search