Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tld1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Wiring hot tub
    When running wire from electrical box to hot tub should I use conduit (outdoor) or is there under ground rated 240v wire. Also what is appropriate wire size?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
    TKRussell may be able to give you a part number for the 50amp GFI breaker made for spas. You must install this in your panel or a new sub panel. They are big. He recommends #6 wire and it does not have to be inside conduit but its not a bad idea. You can buy the appropriate #6 wires that is insulated and rated to be buried as is.
    eman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tld1975
    When running wire from electrical box to hot tub should i use conduit (outdoor) or is there under ground rated 240v wire. Also what is appropriate wire size?
    Yes you could us pvc under ground pipe but there also is cable you can get. Go to the hard ware store and ask for mineral insulated cable rated for 240v and they should have some. The wire size will vary from probably # 8-#4 . I matters if you use aluminum or copper wire.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 6, 2007, 10:40 PM
    It depends on your hot tub ampacity requirements? Note: Never run wire for a hot tub unless you know this information.

Is your hot tub indoors or outdoors?

Need more information
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I guess when you say "Hot Tub", I'm thinking Heater.
    I would Run 3/4" PVC, 2-#6's for hots, 1 #8 for Neutral, #10 for ground, this will be coming from GFI, no closer than 5' and in sight. I would verify any local codes,
    On maximum and in sight, I have heard different for different areas. We can't bury cable,
    Or use Aluminum.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Yep, 95% of them are 220 due to the heater. I have seen a few personal hot tubs that are 110 but so rare and tiny I tend to not think of them.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
    I agree with Washington, we need more detail before offering any advice concerning wire sizes, amperages, etc. While we are all eager to help, the person asking the question has the responsibility of providing accurate information to receive an accurate answer.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 03:19 PM
    I forgot to mention, size breaker accordingly, and like above, without more info, maybe gas heater?
    That is how I would wire mine, Even if it was 120, the #6's should hanlde the load.
    I am getting older and don't like to redo something twice.
    Do it one time right, and forget about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot tub plumbing and wiring [ 3 Answers ]

To make a long story short. In the process of my divorce our hot tub popped a breaker and froze up. I had the pump fixed but the person that took everything apart can not remember how to put every thing back together. It is an old hot tub so I can not find a name on it to get any kind of...

Wiring of a hot tub. [ 1 Answers ]

We just had a free hot tub giving to us. We already have 220 in our house. We just need some help getting it wired. It is an older Jacuzzi model. Can some one provide us with a diagram or instructions.

Hot tub wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wiring a subpanel for my hot tub. I know the white wire from the breaker goes to the neutral bar, but does the neutral wire from the hot tub connect to the neutral bar or the neutral terminal on the GFI breaker?

Hot Tub wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I installed a gfi breaker at the main box but wanted to double check my work. The neutral white wire from breaker goes to the ground bar. But does the solid copper ground lead go their also? Thanks

Hot Tub Electrical Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install a Dimension One spa that the manufacture calls for using #6-3 awg wire and 240 Volt - 50 Amp with a GFCI breaker and disconnect. I had the house pre wired for a hot tub and 240 Volt service. They installed a 50 Amp breaker in the main box and ran about 40...

View more questions Search