Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morganburton05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 08:04 AM
    My landlord keeps on threatening me with a moveout notice
    I live in a small complex in Austin, TX a few blocks north of UT campus. My landlord is VERY adamant about maintaining a "very quiet" complex that never has any problems with noise. Within this complex we have a whole bunch of people--college students and young professionals--that enjoy hanging out outside and having a few drinks with each other.

About 6 months ago, I left town to visit a friend, and allowed some of my friends at the complex to use my house because I was the only one at the time with a TV. Unfortunately, they got pretty rowdy that night, and walked on the roof of the complex, and one of my neighbors called my landlord on me. At that point, I received a note on my door explaining that I had a noise complaint, and if I received two more, he would ask me to move out of the complex.

Fast forward a few months--and we had someone else call the landlord complaining about us being too loud, and I got a second notice with a warning. At this point I went and talked to the landlord because the night that he cited on the notice, I was not even in the complex that night at the time the complaint was called in. I told him that I felt that he was being unfairly accusative and that *maybe* just *maybe* the person who called him about the complaint was being unreasonable. He then told me to just hang out at other people's apartments instead, and let them get in trouble.

At this point, he also instructed all the tenants to call the police for a noise complaint, rather than him.

Since that point, I have *never* had the police called on me for a noise complaint. However, I was at a neighbor's place last Friday, and someone called in a noise complaint on them at 9:30 in the evening, then again at 10:30. Yesterday, I received a note on my door telling me that I was causing too much trouble in the complex and that he would like me to move out before he gives me an official vacate notice. When I went to talk to him at that point, he told me that from now on, any noise complaint that is called in, if I am present at the time, is my fault and will count as my final warning.

Is he allowed to do this to me? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
    You need to read your lease very carefully. Many leases have clauses that address noise and conduct. You might very well be in jeopardy and he doesn't have to prove that complaints are valid. You'd have to sue him and prove they were false.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California Condo 30 Day Notice From Landlord [ 1 Answers ]

We are planning to sell our condo asap. We have given our month-to-month tenant of 2 years, her 30-day notice. She says that a new law passed stating that if the landlord is planning to sell and the tenant has been renting for over 2 years, then a 60-day notice is required. I can not find this...

Tenant give landlord 30-day notice, then doesn't move.Now what? [ 2 Answers ]

Tenant in California, gives landlord a 30-day notice to move. Now 30-days is up, tenant is current on rent, but is not moving. Can the landlord file an unlawful detainer using the TENANT's 30-day notice and it will hold up? Or does landlord have to serve their own 30-day (or 3-day notice if...

Landlord notice of entry in KY [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I stumbled across it while goggling for the answer to my question. Here is the situation. My brother and sister-in-law are having a lot of problems with their landlord. They have been under lease for almost a year now. The lease expires in June and they have...

Landlord refuse to return Security depost as there was no 30 days notice [ 3 Answers ]

I used to live in Apartment complex for 4 years in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. I have never had any problems till I left the apartment. I agve them the 30 day written notice to the management and cleaned the apartment the best I can. I left on Oct. 31, 2006. I also left my forwarding address with...

MO Landlord shows property with little/no notice [ 8 Answers ]

OK, my wife and I recently moved into a duplex in MO. We were made aware that the property was for sale, but were assured that the stipulation of the sale was to continue to the end of our lease. Since we moved in in Sept. they have showed the house about 3 time, not so bad right? but with each...

View more questions Search