Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Arm Strength for Stunting
    Okay, I am trying out for VArsity/JV cheerleading this year, and if I do make it, I will most likely not be a flyer, so I need to probably get some arm strength.I have 2 questions. My first question is how much do I need to be able to lift, and how can I get it?
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by addy
    Okay, i am trying out for VArsity/JV cheerleading this year, and if i do make it, i will most likely not be a flyer, so i need to probably get some arm strength.I have 2 questions. My first question is how much do I need to be able to lift, and how can i get it??
    I am an ex-body builder. First of all, you will need to be able to lift the person you will be lifting. That would be pretty important. Will you be sharing the lift with someone or lifting alone? Lifting can be dangerous if done incorrectly. Not only will you need arm strength but you will need leg strength, back strength, and definitely, stomach strength. The stomach area and surrounding muscles are stabilizer muscles. As for how to build your strength, you must start slow and with fairly light weight at first. There are a couple of types of muscle building... there is definition building where you use lighter weights with more reps and bulk or strength building where you use heavier weight but with fewer reps. I used to like to work my upper body on one day and work my lower body on the other day and work my stomach muscles every time I worked out. However, there is such a thing as over working your body. It needs rest and proper nutrition as well. Now, I am not a professional nutritionist, body builder, doctor, or trainer so what I am saying is just based on things I have picked up over the years. Typically, it's good to do about 12 to 15 reps with enough weight that when you reach your last rep, you feel a burn. It's not good to force yourself to the point that you're all shakey. It's very important to isolate the muscle you are working and use proper form. In other words, if you are working your biceps, make sure that you work that muscle only. Don't contort your entire body to get the weight up... if you have to do that, then you have too much weight to begin with and you need to start with less weight. Hope I was some help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Great Dane-My Strength [ 2 Answers ]

My Great Dane, Faith, has been acting strange. She has taken over my daughter's rubber ducky. She takes this duck everywhere. She has decided to live in a closet in the basement, where she has a collection of things that she dragged and placed. She is not eating, except for wet food-but I do...

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

Strength needed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Like many I am currently going through divorce.Sadly as a lot of people find this means that your support / friends disappear so really just looking for people that are going through the same in order to support each other

Strength training [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, can anyone help? I just got some free weights, and I need to come up with a workout regime that I can do at home. I don't have a bench, and everything I keep finding at the store includes excercises requiring a bench, so I have to leave out most of the workout, I am so frustrated! Can...

The Strength of Samson [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Samson lost his power when his hair was cut, why? Take care, Hope12 :o

View more questions Search