Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Jun 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Black Ants
    I have huge black ants that we can't get rid of. We have used 4 bottles of the ortho max spray and sprayed the perimeter of the house but they don't seem fazed by it.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
    We have the same problem - tis the season! :)
    We have actually put ant baits through out the house (each year we do this) and it actually works.
    Have you sprayed the inside of your house?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:01 PM
    If they are carpenter ants, you might find information on the following site to be helpful to you. I hope that you do.

Carpenter Ants: Carpenter Ant Control with Baits, Spray, Dust

There is also some information from the following site that you might find to be helpful: Ants - Do It Yourself Pest Control at cooperseeds.com

There are also control methods listed on the site as well as prevention methods like you see below.

This is a quote from the site above:

Carpenter Ant Prevention

Homeowners should follow these simple steps to prevent carpenter ant problems:

Locate firewood piles off the ground and away from the home.

Trim trees and shrubs that brush next to the home. These can act as bridges to your home for the ants.

Correct any wood-to-earth contact, such as buried posts or wood siding in contact with mulch.

Fix any water leaks. Carpenter ants and other insects are attracted to moisture.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
    You might want to put baits on the exterior of your home as well as look for a nesting area!

Jun 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Spraying the home inside would be a problem, I have a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a 4 week old pup. Would it be safe for them to put traps in the house?
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Keep them out of reach of the children and pup

Jun 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
    What would the nesting area look like? Im new at having my own home and have never had to deal with this before.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
    I have a 6 year old and we have never had a problem. Although, our dog did attempt to eat them last year. He didn't get sick, but we caught him before he did any damage.

If you sprayed around the baseboards of your kitchen - do you think it would be a problem.

Jun 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Would that ruin my laminate floors?
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Baseboards would be a problem if the dogs lick that area. Try gating off that area till the spray dries. Also check your pantry and make sure there is no food source for them.

Jun 5, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Im not only finding them in the kitchen. I find them in the living room, bathroom, dining room, etc. and I am a neat freak so there is never food laying around in the open for them to get to. As for the cupboards, I have those chip clips on anything that has a bag in it, such as cereal and so on.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Not that the food is the problem, I personaly put food items that are out in zip lock bags. I think they sell spikes that go in the ground to stop them from coming in. Have an exterminator come to your home and do a pest inspection. They will make sure your deck is not rotting or any trees near your home are culprits.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
    For a description of the nests with pictures, please see the following:

Carpenter Ants This site especially, has lots of information about all facets of the ants. It is from the University of Minnesota Extension. It is worth looking at it. Among other things, Prevention, Control, Nests and Baits are described.

carpenter ant nests - Google Image Search
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Jun 13, 2007, 05:49 AM
    All my life, my family has used an equal mix of Borax & Icing Sugar, put in tiny dishes in cupboards, small glass jars laid on their side (so animals can't get in,) the icing sugar attracts them, the Borax eliminates them. As you know ants are carnivorous, so they take their dead back to the nest, other ants eat them, and the Borax works again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Get rid of My ANTS! [ 7 Answers ]

I have ants in my bathroom and my sink. How do I get rid of them? I've put the poison on the beds, but they still thrive. Help me.:confused:

Fire Ants [ 5 Answers ]

I am from east Texas,and need some advice on killing these fire ants.just ran up on this site some how,and glad I did.sounds like fun and informative.just wanted to say hi to all.

Ants and sugar [ 2 Answers ]

Do ants like brown sugar or white sugar more? Please help me... I put sugar in to different saucers and I have ants but I don't know which they like more

Help With Ants [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a very sandy area and have lots of leaf cutter ants. (I'm not sure that is the correct name) The ants are red and have long spidery legs. They make trails when they are searching for whatever they are going to cut down. You may have a flower bed with beautiful flowers in it today and by...

Ants [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know any good tips for getting rid of ants?

View more questions Search