Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Jun 5, 2007, 10:11 AM
    What is happening?
    Was on the depo shot since July 2005. Took the last dose in September and haven't had one since then. Had periods from basically dec. I had a period in early feb. but then didn't have one again. March 26th I took a pregnancy test that was negative, started my period the next day that lasted 2 1/2, 3 weeks. Haven't had a period since then. Could I be pregnant? If not what could be causing this?:confused:
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 5, 2007, 10:53 AM
    The depo shot is what is causing your periods to be so erratic... That horrible shot has messed with more women than you can imagine. I am sure you will see when others people post. You will have to wait 12 to 18months after your last shot for your body to finally start getting back to normal and to be able to get pregnant. I do not recommend this form of birth control to anyone because of my personal experience with it.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 10:56 AM
    You have at least two years of trouble to come and your very unlikely to conceive before twelve months.
    It seriously annoys the heck out of me that these dam dr's don't give women the full facts that stuff is seriously evil I used it for 8 years and I was so extreamly lucky to be able to conceive at all there are a lot of help groups on the net regarding depo there are millions of women in the same boat.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 11:15 AM
    AMEN! Me too. It seriousy messed my body up for months and I had only one dose. I bled for 4 months or so straight, and I actually started losing my vision (occular migraines). And since then I haven't been able to be on any form of BC... and as the others have said, most women can not get pregnant easily once they have come off... good luck
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Jun 5, 2007, 07:56 PM
    The shot effects every woman differently. This is probably causing your periods to be so off. I was on the shot for just over a year. I started another birth control immediately after stopping the shot and had regular periods. I started trying to conceive one year after my last shot and didn't get pregnant for another 6 months. You should talk to your doctor about your cycle. Other than that you will just have to wait for your body to become regular again. My doc wanted me to take a different for of because for at least 6 months after coming off the shot, and to be completely off because for another 3 months before trying to conceive. Hope this helps.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 01:14 PM
    All I can say is... that shot sucks. Haha. Not the most profession thing to say perhaps, but that is the nicest thing I can say about it. I hate that shot with a passion. The irregularity is definitely from the shot. It stays in your system for a long time, and really messes up your hormones and functions of your body. I was only on it for 6 months, and it caused me to lose a full shoe size and half an inch of my height. Also had constant bleeding the entire time I was on it, and it took me a year after that for my periods to get regular again. I had pain in my stomach constantly, always felt sick, had lots of migraines. The kinds of migraines that come to find out one year after being on the shot, you have to be very careful about what kind of birth control you go on, because it can cause you to have a seizure/stroke if you have those kinds of migraines. Intercourse was painful,and I avoided it as much as possible(which hurt my husband, because he thought it was just him) and many other things. Not to mention it took me 18 months to conceive after ward. So the best piece of advice I can give you now, make sure you are taking vitamins(as the shot really depletes your calcium, etc) and give your body time to heal. It will take time to get back to normal, don't have high expectations. Also be on the look out for iron deficiency, as having heavy bleeding for long periods, as some women(like me) expereince from the shot can cause you to go anemic.
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Jun 7, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Okay so now I have another question. My breasts hurt really bad and have for a few months, and when I weighed myself the other day I have gained about 5 lbs since a month ago, and I have that pregnant belly look. Is this normal from getting off the shot? I know that they say that when you get on the shot you have a hard time losing weight and some actually gain, but I didn't. I actually lost like 15 lbs. when I was on it.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 7, 2007, 05:30 PM
    It's more than likely from the shot. You might make a dr appt just to make sure. There are a lucky few that can get preggy after the shot... very very very few. I would go and discuss everything with your dr just so that you know what's happening to your body. I gained like 75lbs on the shot. It was an awful experience for me...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is happening? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to the site. This is a hard one and have no one I can really confide in or talk to about this but need some answers. I have known my landlord for two years now and I have had a strange relationship with him in that time. He is quite a funny chap who is hard to communicate with...

What's happening to me? [ 6 Answers ]

I just resumed taking birth control again after being off it for about 7 months. Two weeks into taking the pill again, I had an "intimate moment" with my boyfriend and I began bleeding profusely. It's been almost a week and the bleeding is lighter, yet still constant. How long should this last?...

What is happening [ 2 Answers ]

I will start by saying I haven't been with a man in 4 12 yrs. But I recently got married and my husband and I are trying to conceive. My cycle is usually pretty normal. I can bet on it an win. But since we are trying to have a baby, I made sure that we were together during my fertile and ovulating...

What's Happening? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I haven't been around here for awhile, I don't know why. Anyway, once again I'm certianed about my best friend, Nick. Here's the thing, about a month ago (probably earlier) he has been acting differntly with me like he's not my best friend anymore. Yes, I mess with him in certain...

View more questions Search