Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    8551965 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Tenant rights
    I've rented a house in Ohio.I was told the property was to be sold but not to worry I had 18 months.I was told to go about my business as usual.I planted my garden paid for my children's school fees (3 children) paid sports fees.less than 2 weeks later I was told you have 30 days to get out. Her reason was there was work to be done on the house before it could go on the market. Can she do this.there is no way I can find a house in the same school distric in 30 days what can I do
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 07:27 AM
    If the property was foreclosed you might get kicked out this quick but not just because she wants to prep for sale. Your landlord is way off base but lets assume she is misinformed before WWIII starts. Tell her you have a valid lease and it gives you legal rights to stay. You could consider giving her a chance to buy out your lease if you can find suitable replacement housing. Seek moving expenses and maybe a month or two rent as a buy out starting point. This is if you find housing and want to try this approach, you don't have to.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jun 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Month to month lease... means just that. You or landlord can give proper 30 days notice to leave. Her telling you that you had at least 18 months has no bearing since verbal real estate contracts are not valid in court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 07:01 PM
    If you have a written lease, no she can not.

If you are on a month to month rental, yes, they can tell you to leave with a 30 day notice.

Your only possible thing is that they told you not to worry for 18 months, you could possibility sue for the fact you had a 18 month verbal lease.
    Not sure it will hold up in court, but that is the only chance I see,

Since if you are on just a month to month rental, they can ask you to move with a 30 day notice for any reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lanlord tenant disagreement [ 3 Answers ]

I moved out of a house I was renting right at 1 month and 3 weeks ago. At the time I moved out there was nothing needed to be done. I asked to move out early because I was starting school and wanted to make sure I was financially secure. The lanlord had no problem with it as long as we could...

Need To remove unwanted tenant in Brooklyn,ny [ 4 Answers ]

I have small house where I have been renting my basement, the lady does not have a lease or even reciepts of paying rent, nor is it a legal rental. Im looking to have her move, I have a feeling there might be problems, because I rent to her at below market rates and she is consistently short on the...

Frustrated tenant [ 2 Answers ]

HI, My name is Sue and I would like to ask a question from someone who knows roommate laws or shared living law. My question is this: Can my landlord come into my portion of the house without 24 hour notice? My second question is can he legally hold my damage deposit if he can't find another...

Does anybody know a lot about landlord/tennant leases? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband, son and I live in an apartment complex and it is not what they said it was. There are roaches and God knows what else, every window but one is missing its screen, my sons bedroom window has no lock on it, ( he's two mind you), the management team never answers their phone, and...

Tenant or Trespasser/Guest? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of Washington. Does my ex-girlfriend who lives with me and refuses to leave, regarded legally as a tenant (has never paid rent nor any monies towards home maintainance) or a trespasser/guest? Need to know how to proceed with having her legally removed. All input is gratefully...

View more questions Search