Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Elephants crime crew
    Stories of Bandits robbing on the highway have been heard earlier but have you ever heard of a "Bandit Elephant" who robs people on the highway!! Yes, waylaying motorists in northern Keonjhar district in Orissa state of India has complained that a wild elephant refuses to let their vehicles pass unless they give him food.

Witnesses told the "Hindustan Times" daily that the elephant has been scouting for food on a highway, forcing motorists to roll down windows and get out of their vehicles. "The tusker then inserts its trunk inside the vehicle and sniffs for food," Prabodh Mohanty, who has had two encounters with the elephant, told the newspaper. "If you are carrying vegetables and bananas inside your vehicle, then it will gulp them and allow you to go."

But if the motorist does not roll down the glasses of the vehicle or resists opening the vehicle door, the pachyderm pushes the vehicle and stands right in front of it until the driver allows him to carry out its routine check.

Forest officials said the elephant is old and looking for easy food. "We are telling commuters regularly not to tease the elephant," said Sirish Mohanty, a forest ranger. "So far it has not harmed anybody. But if people don't heed our advice and harass the tusker, then it can retaliate."

India is home to nearly half the total population of wild Asian elephants. Of the 10 000 elephants in the country, more than 60% live in the eastern states.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
    I guess when I travel in that region, I will bring an ample supply of fresh fruit and vegetables with me. Good to know. Thanks for the info Mag.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I dreamt last night about elephants again [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I know the subaru and elephant in the back seat was weird, but it was a dream as well. Last night dreamt about a friend's elephant, a pet, elephant was quite young and when I related to this youngun, he sat and raised his trunk up. If you have an elephant figurine and the trunk is up, it...

Looking for a crew. [ 3 Answers ]

I have found a multi million dollar market for a web module similar to Ask me help desk. If anyone works for a company who does this type of programming or you know someone who could do it and would pay me a commission for introducing you to the people who are looking for it please send me a...

Is it a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm really curious, recently, my parents threw me out. (actually about 5 times in the last year). Right now I'm only 17. 4 of the times they threw me out, they didn't provide a place for me to live. Their lawyer told them they didn't have to let me stay there once I was 16. Is this true?

Crime Pays? [ 3 Answers ]

I read this article today on CNet News,and could'nt believe my eyes.Whilst not wishing to sound pro-Microsoft,or anti-Microsoft,I now find myself lost for words.A 'huge' fine,has now been reduced to 225 community service.Without sounding cynical,is this tactical? ...

Charged w/ a crime [ 1 Answers ]

In order for these charges to "stick" the "victim" must enter a formal complaint and in some cases must be present in any and/or all hearings. You also have a legal right to know your accuser, it is part of due process... somewhere among this you must have an idea why and how this has happened. I...

View more questions Search