Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 6, 2007, 12:48 PM
    My opinion is in a private message LuvMy
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 12:52 PM
    OK well then answer this is it possible for a vet not to be able to see back into a young puppy/ dog's ears esp. a toy. And determine if there is an ear infection... I know this happens with very young human babies.. just wondering Doc. Thanks in advance
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 6, 2007, 01:02 PM
    CBC, smear, and visual conferm ear infections.

CBC = complete blood count
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jun 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
    You can smell an ear infection from another room lol. Luvmy since you have a long haired cross breed you need to make sure that the hair down in her ear canals are being plucked frequently. You can do it yourself or if you don't feel comfortable doing it your vet will. Yes you can determine that it is an ear infection just by smell and sight, but you can't determine what KIND of ear infection it is by just sight. Good doctors will get out the otoscope and take a look down in the canal and see what's going on in there. They will take a swab of the ear w/ a q-tip and look at it under a microscope. The ears will be flushed and cleaned and a antimicrobial/antibiotic cream will be put in the ears and the dog sent along the way with the same ear meds. If your vet kept scripting out ear mite stuff with out even looking at her ears w/ a otoscope then you need to see another vet. You can see ear mites w/ an otoscope, but not with the blind eye, ear mites are real uncommon in dogs they do get them though. You need to also watch her amount of shaking her head. Excessive shaking her head and scratching at it could cause an aural hematoma (google it lol), j/k, it basically happens when a dog scratched then shakes the head and causes a vessel to break and you have a nice little pillow of blood for an ear. Which then leads to a surgery. Keeping her ears clean can cut down on the frequent ear infections also. Just by getting a paper towel and wiping it out occasionally helps a lot. Keeping them plucked, cleaned and shaved will work nicely :)

If doctors don't take the time to asses all the symptoms and make a diagnosis, ESPECIALLY after the treatment isn't working then it's not worth your time and money to keep going to him/her.

Um, not sure if your puppy dog's ear is better at this point just thought I would add the plucking and junk in there though. Hope her yucky ears get better I know ear infections can be pesky devils to control.
    poopyqueenrox Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jun 16, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Go back to the vet. It could be serious. Can she still hear?
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Jun 16, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Just a little update:

I took Callie to a new Vet. She was wonderful. She taught me how to pluck the hair from her ears and how to clean them properly. She also gave me the correct medicine for her ears (to keep the bad bacteria away). Thanks for all the advice.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Thanks for updating us Luv. I was wondering what was happening to your little cutie pie. Sounds like everything is finally under control. :)
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 20, 2007, 05:04 AM
    There are tests that should be performed on the junk coming out of your dogs ears.A sample should be placed on a slide,and then stained with a dye.When put under a microscope,the type of bacteria growing inside can be detected.This sounds like yeast to me,because infection usually is not brown.These test are not expensive, so call your vet to see if he does these test.If not, find one that does.Yeast is very common,and can spread,so can infection. Sometimes ,both can be hard to cure,good luck.
    thebbk Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2007, 07:29 AM
    I have an american bull dog and she has and had brownish gunk coming from her ears and the vet said it was a yeast infection and I should clean her ears with half white vinegar and half water. Mix it in a bottle and keep cleaning them. It might be what your dog has, from your description.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy Ears [ 5 Answers ]

My dog itches here ears all the time. One day I stuck a Q-tip in there to see what was going on and a black smelly build up was in there what was it?

Itchy ears [ 2 Answers ]

My little Chu.Dog has itchy ears and nothing seems to help

Ears and flies [ 1 Answers ]

I have these flies in my ear and I can sometimes hear them buzzing, what should I do to get help with this?

Cat ears [ 1 Answers ]

Why might my kitten has scabs all over her ears?:confused:

My daschund's ears [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old daschund puppy and in the last couple of weeks instead of his ears laying flat to the head they seem to be more wrinkled and bunching at the side of his head. Is this a normal part of his growth and something he will grow out of? When his ears at held flat they appear to be...

View more questions Search