Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    popsicle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Fathers rights/child name change
    Okay I have a couple questions. First, I live in Florida. My son is 22 months old. His biological father is on his birth certificate and is supposed to pay child support, he owes 5K back pay, and I haven't gotten one single payment. Don't know his current address or phone number. Anyway, he hasn't seen my son in a year and a half maybe a little more, and I was getting to think about it. He isn't a good person, he is on drugs, when we were together he had some anger problems, and he is just overall not someone that would benefit being in my sons life. I got to thinking about it, and don't want him to straighten his life out in a few years and try to come back into my child's life. My son knows my current fiancée as his "dada" and me and my fiancée are pregnant and due for a baby together in July. How would I go about getting my sons fathers rights terminated? Are there papers I can fill out or what is the process? Second off, even if I didn't get his rights terminated, how would I change my sons last name to mine and my future husbands? Would the father have to consent? I want me and my children and husband to all have the same last name, even if the fathers rights aren't terminated? Thanks for any and all advice:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
    First of all you need to hire a family law attorney. Your ex would need to voluntarily relinquish his parental rights to your child, but that does not relinquish his responsibility.

Once the rights are voluntarily relinquished your new husband will be able to adopt your son. Typically the courts will only terminate rights when an adoption is in process.

So, tomorrow, contact a family law attorney in your area to get the specific info for your location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

OK here is my question. My son is 23 and he found out he might be a Father. The mother does not want the child and she wants to give it away. My son wants to raise the child. I want to know are what are his rights. Right now? How can he make sure the mother will look after herself and the unborn...

Fathers Rights [ 5 Answers ]

My daughters friend has a little girl from a previous girlfriend. They were never married. He is listed as the father on the birth certificate. The mother does not want child support and has sole custody of the child. The father paid for the hospital bills when she was born and still pays all...

Fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question concerning my stepdaughter. My husband had this child with his ex girlfriend before we were married, and although their relationship was on the rocks and ending for many reasons, he wanted to stay civil with her and be a father to his new daughter. He signed the birth...

Relinkqushing fathers rights and child support [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas.Is there a legal form for relinkquishing fatthers rights and child support?

Fathers rights PLEASE HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend he is supporting her, her son from a previous relationship and now their son they have together. He is on the birth certificate and is an active father. He is wanting to take his son to a funeral out of town for a family member, girlfriend is not...

View more questions Search