Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bootie561 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Can I get a loan on my parents house
    Greetings,

I am nearing the end of a pretty messy and expensive divorce. I am going to be about £35000 in the hole at the end of it all and do not have many options for paying it back in a hurry. Obviously I would like to be able to have a life and still be able to do things. My parents have already re-mortgaged once and have about £45000 outstanding on that re-mortgage.
    Is it possible, with their property as equity to get a loan with that property to back the loan up or would they need to re-mortgage again? Is them re-mortgaging again even possible or not.

I earn a reasonable wage and could easily afford the amount of a loan spread over a long term that has been secured on a property. Added to that I am due to receive about £40000 in three years time that I fully intend to use to pay off the outstanding debt that I owe.

I do not want to put my parents in jeopardy but this is the only way I can think of to get the payments down (about £700 a month) to a sensible amount to allow me to re build my life.

In today's world the amount of money that I owe does not seem a great deal, however it is causing me many sleepless nights and a lot of anxiety.
    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Couple of things here.
    1/ Have you even asked youyr parents if they would agree to this.
    2/ A better course of action would be to contact Nationl Debtline and ask them to help you.
    It's a charity, so no fees and they'll deal with all your creditors on your behalf. National Debtline, for FREE CONFIDENTIAL and INDEPENDENT ADVICE call 0808 808 4000

As a side, these debts, do they include any form of penalty charges, if so these are reclaimable?
    Feel free to PM me.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jun 4, 2007, 02:19 PM
    I think jeaopardising your parents home is not a good idea. Obviously if they agree to it, that's their decision, but there are other ways to deal with debt in this country. I would take curlybens advice, also the consumer credit counselling service (CCCS) can do the same thing and again are a charity so don't charge a fee. Remortgaging is expensive and a lot of hassle, taking out a ooan against the house will cost quite a lot of money, so it would just increase the debt further, and lots of the companies that offer these types of loans will chagre a penalty fee for early repayment so that will cost even more!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

When can I take my baby and leave my parents house [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm 16 years old and have a 5 month old baby... my parents are trying to control everything I do they won't let me raise my kid they are trying to take over... when can I legally move out so I can raise my baby myself with the help of the daddy??

Could ghosts jump from house to house? [ 20 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to purchase a lot and build a new house. I "googled" the name of the road where the lot is to and 10 web links came up for that road being one of the most haunted places in CT. It reads that there is a "white lady" that is in one of the houses on the road. She is not a mean...

EIN number - Form 8109 - Overseas loan from parents [ 1 Answers ]

I have a loan from my parents overseas and my accountant told me that my parents are obligated to pay 10% of the interest earning to IRS by filling form 8109 annually. But in order to file that, I was told that I need to get an EIN number for myself, and another one for my parents... here I am...

View more questions Search